May 18, 2007

Happy Birthday, Dad.




I think that it is fairly safe to say that I have the best Dad. Ever. He's a dentist (and a passionate one), but you can't just define him by his profession. He is tough. He has dislocated many joints while mountain biking. He climbs mountains- on foot, snowmobile and motorcycle. Sometimes he hikes for hours in the mountains, and finding bear or moose poop is often the highlight of his day. He travels all over the world to lecture on dentistry (Taiwan next week- I'll miss not seeing him in NYC, but my Mom will be here). He raised seven kids to be smart, independent thinkers with fairly decent vocabularies (thanks to reading to us just about every night). He is compassionate, without broadcasting it to the world. He's an amazing writer. He writes books. Volumes of them. On everything. He has a passion for the scriptures (he spent years writing a commentary on the Book of Mormon). He's an adventurer, to say the least and he still keeps up with all of his kids like he was 18 himself (with TWO new hips, I might add). I'm pretty certain that everything he has ever done has been for the happiness of his family. Simply put, he has always been a really good dad. He always came to my piano & dance recitals, volleyball competitions and tennis matches. He typically brought a book with him, but I didn't mind that so much, because he was there. I don't think he has a favorite child - part of the reason he is such a good dad (he shows no favoritism). He'll stop by New York because he's in the area (Chicago, maybe?). He calls me every morning on his way to work, because the time difference works out so that it is the beginning of both of our days. It's nice that he thinks about me, even if we don't always have a lot of time to talk. He picked me up from my first university (an extremely liberal place my parents did not want me to be in lieu of BYU) after I decided that BYU was in fact the place for me to be, and never said "I told you so"- even after only one quarter of me being there. He let me make my decision and live with it, and it helped me grow. He exploded a Coke ALL over my car (as in, over the seats, ceiling, steering wheel... you get the point) during that drive home, and we laughed until we both had tears running down our cheeks. It's one of my favorite memories of us. My dad is brilliant. I'm sure most girls think this about their fathers, but he really is. He has taught me just about everything I know, and an additional number of things that I will likely never understand (I'm still trying to get through one of his favorite books- The Fabric of the Cosmos). I get a postcard from him just about every day. I have a shoe box full, because I cannot even think about throwing a single one away. He has absolutely meticulous handwriting and knows the answer to everything. I don't think I've ever heard him say "I don't know" (and he's not making these answers up). My dad has a ridiculous amount of character, evident in how he has stood up to various forms of adversity in his life. He has always been an example of good.

I really love my Dad. I hope he has a Happy Birthday.

10 comments:

Jan said...

Parker and Ellie and I just read your blog about Dad. I think he will say it will be one of his faavorite and most remebered birthday presents ever. Yes, he does love his children, and he does love life. What a unique and wonderful man he is. AND, all of you children have so much of his goodness in you....that is another remarkable and wonderful thing as well.

Unknown said...

That's a great tribute, Kathryn. You are lucky to have each other.

Patrick&Kera said...

You left out intimidating :)I am not the first one to mention this fact let me add. When I first met your dad, I have to say, I was intimidated. Maybe because he IS so smart and maybe because I AM a little bit young, naive, and have a lot more to learn in this world :) With that said and out of the way, the second you get to know Phil you discover his humor. This man is hilarious. He has had me laughing so hard at times, snot is coming out of my nose. The next thing you discover is his heart. You see it in the way he treats his family. He would do anything for his kids and quite literally give them the shirt off his back. Trust me he offers every time he visits. I feel very lucky/blessed to have such an awesome father in law. Happy Birthday Phil!

Missy said...

That was a great birthday tribute Kathryn. I love that he sends you postcards near daily.

Patrick&Kera said...

thanks a lot for telling me it was his birthday!!! i only talked to him like four times yesterday, and didn't remember. :(

Mike said...

You forgot to mention the play-by-play narrative of his colonoscopy. Bar none, Phil's best trait.

Lula. said...

What a wonderful tribute! I love your dad and I don't even know him! In fact, I hardly even know you! Keep the updates coming, and congrats on 2 years in the city. I envy you guys.

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

Hey, Kathryn! It's Natalie Salo (aka Biasi). I just read your post and wanted to share what I think of when I think of your dad! One night as I was leaving your house, I walked upstairs and found your dad sitting at the kitchen table. When he saw me, he made me sit down and play Boggle with him for about an hour. I loved it (I'm a game freak), but it was a little intimidating, considering how smart your dad is! I'm sure I lost! Anyway, that story has stuck in my head. Your dad really is a brilliant man! Happy Birthday, Phil!

Melissa said...

What a great tribute to your dad! He really is an amazing person! THanks for sharing! :)Happy Birthday Phil!

k. said...

Natalie! Hooray! :)

My dad was (is) defintiely notorious for trapping people into hours of boggle. I've finally learned how to say no! Losing by 200 points get a little old...