Sep 17, 2007

Anxiety.

This is basically what I felt like this morning. I've been trying to read on the train for the last few weeks {still working on getting past the intro in Anna Kerenina- I have the best of intentions} without any success, & it finally hit me this morning: My brain is full. It's just F-U-L-L. I have a lot going on, & I just can't handle reading an 800+ page book right now. I just can't. I could barely make it through People magazine the other day. Imagine the sensation of being in a very crowded room. This room is my brain. Yes- my brain is crowded, & if anything else is pushed in, it might just pop.
I woke up really, really, anxious for some reason this morning. I had a pit in my stomach, & sort of felt like curling up in a ball in bed & staying there for a very long time while not thinking about much of anything besides focusing on thinking about absolutely nothing. This anxiety sort of came out of nowhere. Mike & I had a good weekend, but we also spent quite a bit of time talking & thinking about stuff {I'm being intentionally ambiguous here}. Our life is relatively simple, but at times, it feels incredibly, incredibly complex with a lot of decisions being dependant on others being made first, & sometimes, things don't work out in the precise order in which would work best. I thought about making a diagram in PowerPoint today to demonstrate {privately} all of the things that contributed to my anxiety this morning. I thought that after making this diagram, I could create a flow chart of some sort demonstrating the appropriate actions necessary to reach the defined objectives, with logical steps & processes included. Instead of devoting 4 hours to this, I made this silly little thing instead, demonstrating all of the {ambiguous} factors that contribute to my anxiousness:
.
You get the idea. There are a lot of contributing factors. And sometimes I just get a little {or a lot, depending on the day} overwhelmed.
.
So- I spent my half an hour on the train this morning not reading my book {I've still carried it every day, despite my lack of progress}, but trying to calm myself down & convince myself that I am in control of most major things in my life {I sort of have control issues, uhm, kind of}, & the things that I can't control... that's probably okay. Life is okay. I said a little prayer, & counted my blessings for a few minutes. I have a really cool husband. I live next to a beautiful park with secret woods & waterfalls. I've lived in New York long enough that I can stand up on the subway without falling over - no hands {this makes me feel super cool}. I have legs that allow me to run. I love my job. Life is good, right?
.
So here I am, a few {12} hours later, & I feel better. A rough start to the week, but yes... I feel better.

7 comments:

Jan said...

Sometimes when my mind is full to overflowing, I try to just concentrate on gratitude like you did this morning. I remember watching Oprah one day, by chance (I have only watched about three episodes in my life) and I heard her speaking to a couple who, in their mid years, were struggling with making their marriage work in the midst of so many life changes. There were no complex tricks or pseudo psycho babble....just this one thing...They were instructed to start a gratitude journal, and to keep it faithfully for a month. Then, they were to return and report. The results were miraculous. Both of them had lost their anxiousness and their relationship had improved vastly. So, I say to myself, and anyone else who might care....We all know faith and fear cannot exist in the same place. If we CHOOSE faith...and gratitude, and continue to make it a conscious choice, I really believe we can release anxiety and live a happier and fuller life. So there. Enough from the old broad.

Heidi said...

Wow I really like what your mom said.

Anyhow, sometimes I need a break from reading. Most of the time I have to be reading. But if your mind is full and you are feeling anxious about "stuff", maybe leave the book at home for a few days. Allow yourself to just sort things out in your head and not worry about the book (or feel it's weight in your purse).
I hope you will continue to feel better about pending life decisions...

Unknown said...

I'm sorry, Kathryn. Those days/weeks/months/years are such a bummer. I'm sure you'll get everything worked out. You can always call me! Good luck..

Missy said...

I like the man's head figure - did you make that?

I do hope you are feeling better Kathryn...anxiety is HARD.

Unknown said...

I hope she didn't make it. that would mean she's worrying too much about Matt. I'm sure Mike wouldn't really appreciate that one. :)

k. said...

No no... definitely didn't make it. I rely on google images for many of my pictures.

And I definitely do not sew, emborider, garden, or enjoy wine. Or a man named Matt. :)

Missy said...

duh. Didn't put all that together, like you two. Maybe it was late?