Nov 3, 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns.

I really loved A Thousand Splendid Suns. I read Kite Runner a few years ago & was prepared for the difficult reality that Hosseini portrays of life in Afghanistan. This book was equally profound {& sometimes incredibly sad}. It discusses the path of two women from different villages in Afghanistan, their subsequent collision & life eventually spent together. I seem to have read quite a few books recently that discuss the oppression of women {The Good Earth, Snow Flower & the Secret Fan, Memoirs of a Geisha, etc.} & this book fell into this category. It was difficult to read about the diminishing of rights for & abuse of women in Afghanistan, especially after the arrival of the Taliban. At the same time, it was a beautiful story of friendship & hope. This book has been recommended to me {it discusses the building of schools for girls in Afghanistan & Pakistan}. After reading Suns, I'll have to read it soon.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I read Kite Runner and although I was glad I did, it was really hard for me. I think I was crying every night from it. I am not sure if I am ready to get into that world again right now (maybe post baby...)