Oct 28, 2008

It's my blog, so if I ramble & don't really have a point, or am not especially articulate, that's okay. Don't judge.

My friend Sarah Jane loaned me her copy of In the Time of the Butterflies, a fictional story about the (factual) Mirabal sisters that lived & were killed during the Trujillo dictatorship in the Dominican Repulic. I'm a little over halfway through & am really loving it- evidenced by the fact that I read it on the subway, when I'm going up the subway escalator, on the train & when I'm walking down the street in Harlem. I just can't put it down. I bet I'll finish it by Thursday. It feels nice to be reading fiction again (I went on hiatus for a bit & focused on things of eternal substance), but especially fiction that is rooted in history. I really love the story of these strong women in history. More to come once I finish.
.
I went to MAC tonight & bought some bright red lipstick, you know, a la Dita Von Teese or the pretty Stephanie Nielson (whom I prefer). I'm a little nervous about pulling it off, but the woman kept telling me that it really worked with my fair skin (fair?! I'm pale?!) & dark hair. It will be fun to try, but I know I won't be getting any kisses from Mike. He'll barely kiss me with lip gloss. So- for Halloween, I'm thinking about dressing up as the woman in red lipstick. That's about as creative as I get. I was thinking about dressing up as a pregnant woman, but decided that maybe that wouldn't be funny for those on bump watch. Oh well.
.
I had dinner with my lovely & brilliant friend Amy tonight. I call it dinner, but really we met at Two Little Red Hens, & dinner consisted of a piece of red velvet cake & full-fat hot chocolate with marshmallows. Don't judge. It was nice. Did I mention Amy is smart? She is, & it was so great to just sit & talk with her. It's nice to meet like minded people, especially those who really get you. I feel like I've really got those people these days, & that makes me happy.
.
Mike is out of town (again) this week. I miss him. He's lucky, because today was the worst weather we've had in New York in months & he got to miss it. I think fall is finally here, & it is quickly reminding me how much I'm dreading winter. My toes were freezing, the rain was falling & my umbrella was rendered absolutely useless by the gusting wind. Yuck. It's days like this that I really wish I had a car, with a parking spot everywhere I went of course.
.
I'm sure that everyone has read this article about Stephanie Nielson & her sisters, but wow. It gave me greater appreciation for my husband (I love him), my family, the gospel & oh man... my sisters. Love them.
.
The end.

4 comments:

Missy said...

I loved that article too and I think the lipstick would have looked good with your photo with the headband...

Tara Edwards said...

I love your ramblings, and you, so it's a great blog, all the time :)

Jill said...

i will also be sporting red lips. i expect great things from you kathryn. do you have a striped shirt? you could be a gondoleer.

Julia said...

I think it would be hilarious if you dressed up as a pregnant woman. Maybe I will...

I think you will look beautiful sporting red lips. I wish I could get away with something other than jr. high lip gloss. I still feel like I am playing dress-ups when I wear the real thing.

Did you wear your new boots yesterday? I would think that would make things better.

And I loved the article about Stephanie. I am so grateful for my husband, my baby, the gospel, and my sisters too.

I love when your posts are streams of consciousness-- keep the rambling coming!