Mar 16, 2009

Brooklyn Day.

Who: Me. Mike. Brad + JillWhat: Brooklyn Day. Where: Brooklyn, primarily DUMBO & Park Slope. When: Saturday (is a special day...). Why: An idea conceived weeks ago. For fun. Because we're explorers (even though it's only a few subway stops away). Because NYC has five boroughs, not just one. 


Via the 6 & the F trains. Mike bought churros from a nice Latin woman on the train & we listened to three talented men con sombreros perform all the way down. It was a lovely subway ride complete with food, entertainment & friends. 


Brooklyn Flea Market. Held Saturday & Sundays through the end of March, & then only Sundays (boo.) the rest of the year. Vintage finds, food, jewelry & art. 




The most wonderful cupcake from Kumquat Cupcakery. Bite size & perfect. We also sampled pickles, chocolate, onion relish & the best fruit preserves I've ever had. 


Boutique shopping at little finds like Cog & Pearl. Jill & I will go back for more complete coverage, as this was perhaps not the favorite part of the day for the husbands.


(Photo: JS)


Paper Love. Owned by Jill's friend. The brightest, happiest paper shop. 

(Photo: JS)

Shopping for supplies. Just in case. 

Because everyone needs anti-gravity serum. 


And shades. 


(Photo: JS)



The best part about the Superhero Supply store? You can test out the capes by standing on a wind machine, & even get your own certificate of Superheroism

Shop, shop, shop. We liked Bird, but our wallets did not agree. 

(I also loved Flight 001.)


I'd like to have my very own stoop, please. 


So that I can leave my very own books on my very own stoop. 


(Photo: JS)

(Photo: JS)

Pasta, pasta, pasta. Fragole. I had gnocchi (my favorite).


Jill is going to feature some of our favorite stops this week on her design blog. Be sure to take a peek.

11 comments:

Lindsey said...

Your Saturday looks fabulous! How fun to discover. Wish I could come...the shopping looks fantastic.

Heidi said...

I love exploring new places, that looks great. How cute is your coat? Where is it from?

Erica said...

How fun! Would you mind emailing me where you went to find that awesome jewelry and old camera stuff? I am coming to NYC with friends in two weeks and would LOVE to his that up! I love reading about all your adventures!

Jill said...

So fun to see the day from your side. I really was sick from eating so much pasta. My eyes are bigger than my stomach.

Let's get a girls day on the calendar. Any one who is up for a lot of vintage shopping should come. And I can't believe we forgot to track down Papabubble. Next time.

Caitlin said...

So fun. When I come to visit we are definitely doing a Brooklyn day. Brooklyn flea is on of my favorite thing about Brooklyn, there is also a world famous Red Velvet Cake place that you need to hit next time, I'll send you the name.

P.S. I am digging the bangs, I need help deciding what to do with my hair!

Jennifer said...

Loved this post. I think I love Brooklyn. I like how it can feel a bit slower than Manhattan, but still so close to all the action. We had some yummy pizza there...and I love how they are converting all the row houses back into single family homes...although you still have to be insanely rich to own one.

Katherine said...

How fun! I love your jacket.

k. said...

Heidi, my jacket is Elevenses (I bought it at Anthropologie last year).

Lizzie said...

What a great day! I think I've seen that Sombrero Trio on the green line. They are super happy & funny.

jocelyn said...

a brooklyn flea market sounds intense. have you been watching this season of the real world in brooklyn? i find it very entertaining (and also quite sleazy).

erin said...

i thoroughly enjoyed your brooklyn pictures. looks like it was a lovely excursion. i kind of maybe want to go to the brooklyn flea before it's sacrilege. i have til the end of the month, you say?