Sep 24, 2009

Martha, Martha, Martha.









Friend Emilee was nice enough to get me a ticket to the Martha show. Yesterday's taping at The Chelsea Television Studios was lots of fun. I can't say that I love Martha (she's bland & her show is, um, boring - although her food is yummy), but it was fun to go with friends & always cool to see how these shows come together. Not to mention the fact that some of the women in the audience were quite the spectacle. There are big Martha fans in this world. And I must say, for 68 years old (?!), Martha looks fantastic. Her skin is amazing. I hear she goes to Mario Bedescu for facials (where I go!).

I was on the subway on the way home looking at photos on my camera. A little boy next to me was peering all the way over my lap trying to see them. I finally asked if he knew who Martha was, because he clearly wanted to see the photos. He said he did, so I told him I saw the show & showed him all my photos. He seemed impressed, but when he asked what the show was about, he definitely wasn't. I told him that Martha spent half of the show talking about gardening tools & he responded with, Stupid! We live in New York! We don't have gardens! My thoughts exactly.

The show airs tomorrow. I'm wearing a bright red dress & am sitting on the right hand edge of a row about halfway up the audience. I really wouldn't recommend watching it though. Like I said, a little boring. Her show just isn't fun. Boring guest, boring fashion show with Martha asking lots of awkward questions to the designer (& calling his wife fat!!), & a boring segment on gardening tools. I did come away with a fun cook book though, & a giant bag filled with Johnson & Johnson products (baby lotion, anyone?).

12 comments:

JC said...

ooooooh, how did you get tickets? I want to go. I love Martha (well, the concept/enterprise, not her per se). recipes are fantastic.
:)

Julia said...

You told me that you don't wear read. So now I will have to see it. But I agree with you about Martha, I think she is boring. And I had no idea she was 68! Dang I hope I look that young when I am almost 70.

k. said...

I could have sworn I didn't own anything red (except shoes). Turns out I have a red dress. Go figure!

Lizzie said...

I'm not a Martha fan either ... she isn't charming at all, I sort of wonder how she got so famous? Going to a taping is fun though. I'm going to look for you on the show!

Unknown said...

Yeah. I usually can't make it through more than 15 minutes of her show, but her business empire (magazine, .com) is really brilliant.

Jennifer said...

She bugs. But isn't the production aspect of the entire thing fascinating? Same reason I enjoyed The September Issue.

Lindsey said...

fun to say you have been to the martha show though. cool pics too. I like some of her stuff, but yea, she is pretty bland.

Louise said...

Did you go with Katie Holmstead? She was at the same taping yesterday with Sister Checketts!! (saw it on her blog). Sorry it was not so entertaining.

k. said...

Louise, I was there with the Checketts! My friend Emily is dating their son Spencer - so Katie (Checketts) & Deb both came along with the group. I don't know Katie Holmstead, but there were a few girls there I didn't know. What does she look like? Funny. :) I love your New Canaan connection.

Missy said...

At least you are honest!

She is purely monotone and I have never even seen the show. But I had NO idea she was 68!!

Louise said...

Katie Checketts is Katie Holmstead!! ;o) That's funny - both her and your posts said essentially the same thing! At least you went with a fun group, though.

k. said...

Okay L, that's funny. :) I even put her email address in my phone! Small world.