Apr 13, 2010

Ben Folds at Town Hall.


Baby got to go to its third concert (in utero) last night. I guess we're really hoping to have a child that loves music as much as we do, so perhaps lots of exposure to great live music well help. Maybe?? Either way, last night was a happy night for everyone involved. Maybe it was Chipotle with the Cannons beforehand (I love Chipotle, & we love the Cannons). Maybe it was the seats that we had (vs. standing room only). Either way, it was my most pleasant pregnant concert-going experience yet. I threw up right before Regina, & I had to run out in the middle of Dashboard, but Ben Folds? Nada. Except for a little bit of a stuffy nose thanks to all the lovely blossoms in New York City right now, it was wonderful.

And Ben! I think I had forgotten how much I really liked him, & how much fun it is to sing along. Rockin' the Suburbs came out my freshman year of college, & I have lots of fun memories that go along with that album (enter: nostalgia). And I'm pretty sure I'd never really realized just how talented he really is. I mean, seriously - technically, artistically, he's just amazing. Just Ben & a piano - & I guess just Ben + a drum set for a bit (equally cool). I haven't seriously played the piano myself in far too long, but I studied from the time I was about 5 until I was 18 - which I think gives me the credibility to say that he's just really, really good. One bio I read on him said that he "devoted a lot of time to working on piano technique. 'I spent maybe six months just running scales with a metronome like a freak,' Folds said. 'I suppose that did something.'" Yes sir, I think it did.

Listen to this (long) video of Not The Same. I feel like it's representative of the whole show. Lots of fun, & just pretty.

1 comment:

Scott and Elly said...

How fun! We love Ben Folds. Congrats on your pregnancy! Sorry, I'm a little out of the loop. When are you due?! Do you know what you're having? Miss you.