Aug 18, 2010

Baby Boy's first laundry day.


The only thing I've purchased that is lay flat to dry. But it's precious, & worth it.

I starting cutting off tags from Baby Boy's clothing last night in preparation for this morning's laundry. As I thought about putting all of these sweet, tiny clothing into a washing machine with soap & water, I teared up.

(I'm really emotional lately, although I made it through my last Target trip without crying - probably only because I was with Suzi, & that would have been embarrassing.)

Perfect little clothing about to become just a little less perfect, but nonetheless - clothing for our Baby Boy.

The laundering isn't a huge deal even though it was slightly painful this morning (clothes are never the same after the first wash, no?), but it made me think about the real person that is going to wear (& wear out!) these miniature things. Through his life, during those first few months even, they will become imperfect through use - & that's okay. The way it should be, of course. We'll bring him home from the hospital in one of these outfits. He'll meet his grandparents for the first time, & say hello to his new friends. Some of it will likely end up stained & thrown out. Other pieces will keep him warm during his first city winter. We'll put him to bed just after a bath in his soft & cozy pajamas. 

It's just still all a little surreal. 39 days to go (!), but if Baby Boy decides to arrive next week, at least he'll have clean clothes.

3 comments:

jocelyn said...

i was just reading in my journal the other day about this exact same thing. it was almost a year ago for me and i remember never loving doing laundry as much as i did that day. nothing is cuter than little baby clothes (except the little baby wearing them).

noelle said...

ohhhh... can you come do mine?!?!? give me some of your motivation, please!

Jill said...

so sweet. i love that you're washed + ready. i have a few outfits for jane that i have to iron and i shake my head every time.