Dec 20, 2012

Always catching up.

|| My life is in a perpetual state of catch up. I've come to accept this as normal. But! I got a few projects done this week, put some more things up on my walls (15 months later) & am almost packed up & ready for our trip to Washington this weekend. I'll count these things as little victories. 

|| My baby is three months old today. Three months! The longest of my life, I think (brain mush evidence: friend Emma reminded me of the milestone today, while it had not even crossed my mind). There have been some lows (understatement) & it's been hard (understatement), but so absolutely worth it. He's a really sweet little baby, & he'll be a really good friend to Quinn. I'm happy for them. I'm on my way to sort of figuring out how to mother two, although I haven't figured out how to go to the grocery store yet & still feel nowhere near any sort of normal (although my old normal will always differ from my new normal, I'm sure). It turns out I make babies that aren't quite so easy, & West has been no exception with his no binky, no bottle, no Bjorn-loving ways (Heaven help me on an airplane this weekend), but he sleeps! And I love his new smiles & coos, & I'll keep him just the way he is*. 

|| My neighbor gave us their barely-used plastic car the other week. Since Quinn has essentially been raised on toys that are made of organic / recycled / conflict-free / Swedish / otherwise non-offensive materials with mostly modern design, of course he's obsessed. Beep beep!!  

|| I went out for sushi last night with sweet friends Noelle & Danielle. There was a lot of laughing & self-deprecating humor & unabashed honesty, & when shared with people who get you - those are all things that I just really like. I've had a long week with a sick toddler & traveling husband & the relief that comes from time with good friends (sans babies!) is immediate & wonderful. 

|| It's Christmas! Although it's been in the 80's mostly all week, & I don't remember the last time I was required to wear socks, so it's not feeling especially Christmas-y. I put on Pandora to my favorite Folk Holiday station, read Q stories about the baby Jesus (he's mostly just interested in the animals), & love receiving Christmas cards in the mail every day - but it still feels a little bit like we're pretending. (I remember having the same feelings when vacationing in warm places with my family over the holidays growing up... maybe I just need snow & hot chocolate to make me feel in the spirit of things?)

|| Quinn went to his first princess birthday party the other week for friend Emery. I think he was... confused! And wondering where all of the choo choo's were. 

|| Ella & Quinn are the sweetest friends. I told Natalie today that I maybe have more photos of her than I do of Quinn. 

|| We love Texas in December. We really do. 

|| Photo dump!

*As long as this is allows me to eat gluten & dairy again someday. Sigh. 




2 comments:

Lizzie said...

I have been wishing for about a year now that we had a space for that FAMILY rug from CB2! It looks so cute in your house. And that picture of your boys in matching Christmas ties is so, so cute!

Judy said...

I LOVE the photo of Quinn and West in their matching bowties! I had to laugh about the plastic car. My daughter has also done her absolute best to keep Benjamin (3 1/2) away from plastic toys...she goes for all wood/organic, etc. and what he loves the most are his hot wheel cars! She used to hide them, hoping he'd fall in love with his wooden cars...but now I think she's given up on that particular issue. I'll be with my grandsons and granddaughter in about...6 hours! Oh boy! Merry Christmas to you!