Sep 24, 2006

Postcards

My dad has sent me a postcard several times a week for as long as I can remember- or at least since I started going away to summer camp. Each contains a story, lesson, quote or obscure fact related to the picture on the other side. I have learned a tremendous amount from my dad's postcards sent from around the world. I received a postcard a few days ago, written somewhere in Northern California and he and my mom made the drive from San Francisco to Portland. Here is what he wrote on the opposite side of the picture of Noyo Harbor (Fort Bragg, CA):
.
"Fish and chips in this little harbor, a good nights sleep, and we are hitting the road: California's Wonderful One, a sinewy ribbon of asphalt that sunggles up to every twist and turn of a mountainous landscape, that tumbles down to meet the sea in a frothy embrace."

I thought that this postcard was particularly beautiful. I have a photo box full of hundreds from him. Every so often, I take it out of the closet, pull them out one by one, and read.

No comments: