Jun 17, 2007

Dinner.


We had some friends from our old ward over for dinner tonight. I really like making yummy food, & I think tonight qualified. Mike made strawberry shortcake for dessert- I really loved the recipe. {I’ll start with that, since dessert is always the best part}.

Strawberry Shortcake

Makes 12 servings

2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
approx. 6 cups sliced strawberries
approx. 1 cup Whipping cream, whipped with about 2 T powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder and sugar. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Combine milk and egg in a separate bowl. Add milk and egg mixture to dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Drop onto cookie sheets in large mound (about 2-3 inches in diameter). Cook for 18 minutes. Let cool. Slice in half horizontally. Place a generous dollop of whipped cream on bottom of biscuit, top with just under 1/2 cup of strawberries each. Place top of biscuit back on and add whipped cream to the top with a few more strawberries. Add more or less whipped cream and strawberries to your liking.

For dinner, we made one of my favorite enchilada recipes:

Southern Living Chicken Enchiladas

Stir together the following:
3 cups cooked, chopped chicken {I boil it- it’s easy}
2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers
½ cup sour cream
1 can chopped green chilies, drained
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Sauce:
4 oz. Sour cream, 4 oz. Salsa verde

Toppings:
Diced tomato
Chopped avocado
Sliced black olives
Chopped Cilantro

Spoon chicken mixture evenly over 8 {8-inch} flour tortillas & roll up. Arrange in a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish. Coat with vegetable cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Top with sauce & toppings.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Do you make your own salsa verde or have a certian brand that you like the most? This sounds really yummy. shortcake and strawberries is a favorite of mine in the summer.

Melissa said...

Yum! Both recipes sound delicious! Thanks for sharing...I think we are going to try them!

k. said...

Heidi- I definitely don't make my own, although that would be yummy. :) I don't really have a favorite brand- I tend to buy whatever Fresh Direct has. I love Trader Joe's salsa though, although I've never gotten salsa verde there.

Jan said...

Yummy dinner! I made a fresh Strawberry Pie last night - also a hit. The berries are especially good right now. For you young wives out there - I wouldn't be afraid of making your own crust. I have a foolproof recipe that always turns our great and is so much better than premade. If anyone wants it, let me know. Just an FYI to COSTCO fans - their newest salsa, Jack's Special #1 Award Winning Salsa, is really fabulous. It's not chunky which I've always loved, but it IS mighty flavorful.