Jul 31, 2007

I loved this book {with a rather long title}

Oh gosh, I really loved this book. I just finished it yesterday. I haven't been able to put it down. I even read it while waiting for Mike to try on suits at Nordstrom over the weekend. I'm cautious to recommend it, but I do so with full disclosure. It's a memoir about a 22 year old man who loses both of his parents to cancer within weeks of each other & is left to take care of his 7-year old brother. However, it's anything but typical as far as memoirs are concerned. It was just as the title suggests- heartbreaking, real, raw, authentic & genius. The narrator sounds like he is on speed, but following him around as he flows through various thoughts was an incredible & enlightening journey. I mentioned this before, but the language is not reflective of my own personal choice of vocabulary. I already told my mom not to read it. Maybe it's bad that I read it, but I really felt it was a valuable story, f-bombs aside. It's not for everyone, but it was certainly for me.

No comments: