Sep 8, 2007

BlackBerry murder.

I think that I may have done a bad thing. Okay- I'm pretty certain that I did a bad thing. I've committed murder. By drowning. My purse always contains a lot of stuff {example: see here}. Today was no exception. Mike & I were heading to 86th Street to meet my friend Alyson for a trip to the Bronx Zoo when my water bottle & Blackberry had a bit of an encounter. Today was hot & humid- it felt like July. A water bottle was a necessity. After Mike & I each took a long drink, I put the water bottle {a Nalgene-type} back into my suede bag. Within a few seconds, I felt something wet. I looked inside my bag & found four inches of water sloshing around. Floating at the top: my BlackBerry {along with wallet, sunglasses, etc.}. My precious BlackBerry was literally FLOATING. Mike & I pulled everything out of the bag, desperately trying to dry everything off. For a few minutes, we thought that we were going to be okay. But then it started doing funny things. It clearly was not happy. We took off the battery, & it started bleeding red {apparently this is what happens when you get them wet- they actually bleed in protest}. We let it dry off for the afternoon, but no luck. I'm pretty sure it's dead. The IT guy at work is not going to be happy with me, as I just received my "upgrade" version a few days ago. Sigh. Oh- & the even worse story is that our beloved camera was also in my bag, albeit in a side pocket. It might be dead too. We're not sure if it got wet, but it won't turn on. It might be a battery problem, it might not... We'll see. In the meantime, my BlackBerry is fully submerged in a bowl of white rice- a trick I picked up in several sites on the internet to dry it out. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but in the meantime, I'm a little antsy. I'm used to be "plugged in" 24/7. And I'm terrified about the possibility of having destroyed our 2-month old camera.
.
The zoo itself- it was a lot of fun. But that's for another post {especially since our seemingly dead camera wasn't cooperating, so Alyson has to send me pictures}.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That sucks! I dropped my phone in water once and didn't touch it for a full 24 hours to let it TOTALLY dry and it worked.. Ryan's Brother Got thrown in a pool the night before his wedding with his camera, phone, i pod and keys with the alarm thing in his pockets. he tried turning the phone on and I told him to stop it was too late for that but the rest worked. I don't know if it bleeds if there is chance but I will hope for the best for you.

Lindsey said...

oh man. I really hope you blackberry and phone is okay! That is the worst. Good trick with the rice thing.