Oct 31, 2007

25.

I'm not really a birthday person. I definitely don't advertise. I love to celebrate other people's birthdays, but my own... not so much. I don't like people feeling like they have to make a fuss, & I don't love being the center of attention. I'm pretty certain that at the root of this is the fear of just not getting any {attention}. Prime example: I don't think I've had a birthday party since 7th grade, likely out of the fear that no one would show up. Seriously. Birthdays are fun because it's great to hear from the people who love & care about you. But, they also make me sort of anxious because what if you don't hear from someone? You don't want them to feel obligated, but you also want to know that they care. You want them to want to care {have you seen The Breakup? "I want you to want to do the dishes!!!"}. And even though you don't really care if they care, you still care. Anyway. That's how I feel about birthdays. Not sure if it makes any sense. They are always sort of strange days for me, but nice because my family always reminds me that they love me. That's nice. Anyway- I'm 25. It doesn't feel drastically different from 24.
..
Yesterday was also our 2 1/2 year anniversary as Mr & Mrs. It sort of feels like we've been married a whole lot longer than that, in a good way. Can't imagine my life without Mike, that's for sure. He was super sweet & made me this for breakfast yesterday. It was ridiculously good & a great way to start off the day. It's likely that I gained 4 pounds just from breakfast. I sealed the deal with dinner here. It's a tiny little place in the village that is noisy, crowded & makes you reek of garlic for the next 24 hours. We love it. Oh- my friend at worked treated me to a Bikram yoga class mid-day, too. I wish I could afford to do that everyday.
.
It was a nice day.
.
And today- I have to fly to Boston late this afternoon for work. I will likely spend Halloween in my hotel, watching Private Practice {I kind of like it}. That's okay with me though. Halloween is not on my list of favorite holidays {I'm not especially creative with costumes, & I don't have kids}, nor on Mike's so it is just fine.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

No way your birthday is on halloween? I would have thought this was your favorite holiday ;-) But maybe not per reasons you just listed. Anyway, Happy Birthday- sounds like a pretty good one to me (well yesterday which counts right?). I LOVE celebrating other's birthdays but with mine I just want something low key. Happy 25th! (PS- did you graduate from high school in 01? I didn't realize we are the same age...)

k. said...

Heidi, my birthday was on the 30th- Almost Halloween. :)

And yup- I'm an '01 high school grad. I thought you were 24? I was "old" for my grade. (September cut off for kingergarten...)

Missy said...

Happy Birthday a day late! 25 is a fun age, I think. And Happy Anniversary too - that's fun that you got married on your birthday. Double the celebration.

k. said...

Well, it was our two and a HALF year anniversary- so, we got married on April 30th. It's fun to be able to celebrate 2 things.

Unknown said...

I'm the same way. Brad loves parties but I look forward to dinner at Sundance. I could do that every year and feel celebrated. I'm glad we're friends.. although all this talk about 25 being old is making me feel REALLY old.

Rae said...

Happy birthday yesterday! I totally hear you on the birthday/parties anxiety. The worst part is everyone always asking you about your HUGE EXCITING plans, and what everyone else did for you. Because what if they didn't do the hoopla that the asker expects? Anyway, haven't had a party for myself since I was in 8th grade. Totally understandable.
PS I'm an 01 grad too. :)