Nov 16, 2007

The Last Leaf.

Do you remember the movie The Last Leaf?

Johnsy and Sue are artists who move into Greenwich Village in New York City. As Winter approaches and the weather gets colder, Johnsy becomes ill with pneumonia. She gets so sick that she believes that when the last leaf falls from the vine outside her window, she will die. An old artist, named Behrman, who lives in the same building as the girls, braves a storm one night to paint a leaf on the wall — a leaf that will never fall. Cold and wet from painting in the icy rain, he catches pneumonia and dies. This gives Johnsy the hope to survive her illness, and it also creates the masterpiece Behrman had always dreamed of painting.

I felt like I was watching that yesterday outside of my office window at work. It was a dark, gloomy & windy day in Greenwich. The fall colors have been beautiful in Connecticut {it has been a strange fall}, but yesterday- they were all blowing away. The leaves were just flying. This video is not going to win an Oscar, but hey- I had my camera in my bag. May as well.

The tree outside my window today is much more bare than it was yesterday.

3 comments:

Jan said...

Wind - Nature's way of housekeeping. We had a beautiful afternoon last month when MaryAnn, Cody and I were standing in Cody's kitchen and all of a sudden it felt like we were in the middle of a snow globe. It was amazing! You could barely see through all the colorful leaves as they danced their way to the ground. It was such a treat!

Heidi said...

That movie sounds very poignant. I think it's fun too when all the leaves are on the ground, I love walking on them and hearing them crunch. But then they blow away which is a little sad. Oh well I am ready for snow and winter...

Elizabeth said...

Oh I loved that movie.. You should have someone paint a leaf on your wall outside your window.