Jan 13, 2008

Kellie.

I'm not a girlfriend kind of girl. I probably have issues, but let's just say that my best friends-that-are-girls are my sisters, & I've known them for years (not to mention the fact that they sort of have an obligation to like me). I've been told that I'm standoffish & even cool when you first meet me. I think I'm just sort of shy, but that's another story.

Anyway - it's rare that I find a friend with whom I really click, someone who really gets me. Kellie & Jason moved to NYC about 9 months before we did. It took us a while to discover each other, but it was nice when we finally did. It has been good to have a friend who not only gets me, but accepts me as is, no questions asked. I tend to have a hard time being anything other than me (i.e. I tend to speak my mind, share my unfiltered opinions far too often, etc.), which I suppose is a good thing, but I can't help but think sometimes I'm being judged. I might just be oversensitive at times, but point being... Kellie doesn't judge. She's open minded & totally grounded. It has been fun to talk about Brazilian bikini waxes, Relief Society lessons that just bug, & just about anything else. We've gone to a million restaurants together & contemplated trips to South America. I like to think that I work just as hard as she does, & that's nice, too... to know that there's someone like me with similar goals & aspirations - professional & personal. It's been nice to have a good friend in the city. I don't have many, so the ones I have really count.

The sad news is that she's leaving me. She's returning back to the Motherland (Utah) - tomorrow. We've already had three farewell dinners, & I keep telling myself that it just isn't true. But it is. Sigh. I'm hoping that work will bring her back to the city often. I think we'll be friends for a long time though. 
.
We went to Asia de Cuba last night for our final last hurrah. It's the kind of place that makes me feel plain & simple (the bathroom was full of girls in sequin dresses reapplying massive amounts of lipliner), but the food is oh so good. 

9 comments:

Jan said...

You guys look so comfortable together - I think friends should have that presence. I have found that in life we don't really have more than a handful of friends who know and accept us as we really are....no questioning.....no judging. It's such a rare thing that it's worth really celebrating. Even though you may not see her quite so often, she will remain dear to you - and both of you will feel blessed.....no matter where life may take either one of you.

suz said...

My very best friends lives in Phoenix (we worked and meet in St. Louis) and we have figured out how to make it work. We both have sprint phones so can talk to each other free and do so almost every day about just abut anything and nothing at all. I hope you guys find a way to remain friends - it is always so nice when you meet someone who gets you.

Heidi said...

I am sorry to hear your friend is leaving! Finding that quality of friend, someone you really connect with truly is priceless!

Unknown said...

I almost got emotional reading that. Well, I guess I did get emotional sans tears. I SO get it and am sorry that she's leaving you! Thank goodness for a great husband.. but I miss having good friends (girl friends).

Welcome to Utah, Kellie.

Missy said...

I'm so sad for you. I totally get it.

Lindsey said...

I am sad for you too.

Kellie said...

Awww, how do I top that post (now that I promised to become a blogger)? I will miss being so close to you, but will make every attempt to come back as much as possible for "work" :)

Tara Edwards said...

She must not have gotten the memo I sent out about friends moving away. There should be some sort of fine imposed on people who move away. A huge sort of amount of money that would make them think twice about leaving. Just my opinion.

Kera said...

I was just talking to Patrick today about friends and how there are a few people you just really connect with and then there are most of the people you don't. Patrick is convicned that he had that type of friends in highschool and won't ever meet people like that again.
I hope I have atleast 1 friend in Spokane. All you need is that 1 friend. Sigh. Being the new person SUCKS! I am not looking forward to that part.