Sep 14, 2008

Maybe the coolest.

.
Lil' Wayne performed. There was an old lady in the crowd who was groovin' to his songs (& knew all the words, which sort of confused us). The hallway to the studio was full of photos from past seasons & classic SNL moments.
.

.
Absolutely no photos were allowed, & they weren't kidding. We only got yelled at once. The result: Just a few grainy iPhone photos. The backs of Mrs. Brian Williams, Brian Williams, Bruce Springstein & his wife (then the Williams' kids). Trust me. .
.
I'm pretty sure that going to see the season premiere of Saturday Night Live was the coolest thing that we've done in New York. We were both grinning our whole way home, because it was just that cool.
/
We started off our night by grabbing a late dinner at the little Italian place (Pinocchio's) around the corner, where the owner knows us & always thanks us for coming back. It's quaint & small, yummy & rich. We like it. I avoided the temptation to load up on Diet Coke to keep me awake until well past 1am, even though Mike said I had a free pass (today marks 1 month caffeine free, thank you very much).
.
We cabbed it to Rockefeller Center around 9:45pm. We were scared (okay, I was scared) that we wouldn't get in, mostly because our name wasn't on our tickets, but we made it in without any problems- albeit waiting in line for about an hour. We had great seats up in the balcony, just feet away from Brian Williams (he's handsome) & his family (his daughter is stunning), along with Bruce Springstein (random), Bob Costas, Penn Badgley & Blake Lively to name a few. Side note: Gossip Girl fans, you'll be happy to know that they were sitting next to each other & looking together. However, Blake looked sad the whole time, sort of on the verge of tears, & really tired (I wonder why?). I thought that maybe they were in a fight (almost emailed Perez), but when Penn gave her butt a quick grab, I was reassured that all is well. Oh- & Blake is probably the most beautiful girl I've ever seen in person. Mike agreed, which didn't hurt my feelings even one bit. She's so pretty that I put on lipgloss as soon as I saw her, an obvious sign of my own self awareness & inferiority complex.

The list of celebrities there was sort of unreal. I've lived in New York for a respectable amount of time now, but never have a seen such a concentration of people that I only see on TV. Chevy Chase made a brief cameo (& also came to our section & when greeting Brian Williams & Bruce Springstein, gave Bruce a kiss on the cheek- strange), Jared the Subway guy was in a skit, Tina Fey came back for a guest appearance (the best skit of the night- she was Sarah Palin, dead on), Guy Fieri was sitting in the front row, Michael Phelps' mom was there (of course), William Shatner made a brief appearance, Jeff Zucker was running around, Amy Poehler was cute & pregnant, & of course, Michael Phelps hosted (a little awkward & not especially funny, but not so bad). Oh- & his hands... they really are HUGE. Huge, huge hands & freakishly long arms. Crazy.

Best skit of the night?

We got home around 2am & were so excited that we couldn't go to sleep for another hour. Church was tons of fun this morning.

13 comments:

Sine family said...

That was the best skit of the night. So fun that you got to be there in person. Phelps was so awkward it was hard for me to watch.

Katherine said...

How fun! I am glad that the 'let' you in. That first skit was the best.

Heidi said...

That would be like the quintessential New York thing to do huh? So great you got to go. I can't believe Chevy Chase was there. Oh and Blake and Penn of course. I feel like I don't really care about celebs but then when I see one in person I am way starstruck! Funny. Anyway, we watched it last night and they scanned the audience but it was too quick I couldn't see you (or anyone for that matter). My favorite skit was the T-MObile... I will have to go see which was your favorite...

Heidi said...

O yeah that opening one with Fey and Poehler was pretty funny!

jocelyn said...

i am so covetous. i laid (lied? i never know) in my bed and ate milk duds while watching it, and you were actually there mixing and mingling (practically) with blake lively)! lucky you.

Anonymous said...

i would have just literally fallen over and died...and been so happy. what a completely cool experience, especially that you were able to go together. and i loved that opening skit...those ladies are geniuses!

suz said...

Very cool! I watched but fell asleep when the music played the first time and woke on the couch many hours later. I loved the Sarah Palin skit. What an exciting evening!

Jan said...

How fun! I tried to stay awake as best as I could, but I didn't quite make it through the whole thing.....It's funny, but I thought how great it was that you had fun at church this morning and then I realized, that in fact
you might have had much more enjoyment staying in bed. Oh well, the sacrifices we make. 2 am...I don't think I could stay up that late for anything!

Missy said...

I've been wondering if you got in. So great! It sounds like it was totally worth it...

Lizzie said...

That sounds like SO MUCH FUN! Wow. What a night!

Lindsey said...

Okay, sounds awesome. Seriously, so cool. What a fun night. I love your favorite skit. hilarious.

Kera said...

when watched this we laughed our heads off.

Tara Edwards said...

I want to go! Do you think if we beg for tickets we might get in before we are like 80 years old!