Dec 21, 2008

Kera & Shaeli.

On Saturday we snagged tickets to go see In The Heights (thank you, ticket scalpers). We loved it. Really, really loved it. Mike, too (amazing!). It was modern, the music was unique, & Mike & I were happy that we got most of the inside (Manhattan) jokes. It's one that I'd happily see again - so please come visit.
.
Great video here from the Tony's & Lin-Manuel Miranda's amazing acceptance speech here.
.
Bravo..
Puffy, but warm. By the way - my jacket? $15, from the Gap (sale + sale + sale + coupon = really ridiculous deal the other day). Thank you, recession. Mike keeps telling me that I'm single-handedly going to save the economy. I do what I can.

After the show, we made a quick stop into a local Times Square tourist trap. I've never really been in one of these shops, & we made good use of our time while we waited for K & S to pick out their goodies (it really was fun! I'm not complaining, promise). It really is sort of ridiculous how much NYC paraphernalia is produced. What's more amazing is that people actually buy some of this stuff. I almost bought my mom an Oscar statue that said Worlds Greatest Mom on it, thinking that maybe she'd love having it on her bathroom counter or maybe in the kitchen near the sink, but then my better judgment quickly rushed in. What do the Oscars have to do with Manhattan, anyway?
.


There were approximately 57 version of Lady Liberty.

We do.
.

So, sort of a side story, but on Friday while out shopping in the freezing cold, rain & slush, the three of us (girls) decided that purple eyeliner was an immediate necessity. For all of us. Apparently purple is a complementary color for any eye color (especially green), so we all picked up our own perfect shade at the MAC counter at Bloomingdales. I may have over-applied. Oops.
.
Shake it.

There were approximately 27 different kinds of NYC card decks.
.
We will be on an airplane, landing in SLC, when the clock strikes midnight this year. Lame, but it shaved off a few hundred dollars a piece on our ticket prices (not lame). By the way - Times Square on New Year's Eve is on my list of THINGS NEVER TO DO. Ever.
.
Cab ride home.

I'm really glad that K & S came to visit us. It makes me feel loved, & closer to my west-coast family. We had a really good time, so good that I just can't wait to go to sleep tonight. I'm tired! Come back soon. Maybe next time when it's a tiny bit warmer & when our wellies are not absolutely necessary. :) Oh my gosh Kera, what would have done without our wellies?

11 comments:

Shaeli said...

The purple eyeliner looks great, Kathryn!! However, I still might be bothered by the rude artists at Mac.

Thanks again for such a fun trip!! You and Mike are so great and such awesome hosts... I appreciate everything you two did for us. Let me know when you are in Utah for a Nordstrom Extravaganza-- :)

Jamie said...

We are going to be landing in SLC that night too! How fun would it be to meet up in Utah. We need to chat sometime. Merry Christmas.

Tara Edwards said...

I'm thinking I need some purple eyeliner! How cute! And I think just once, you need to spend New Years in Times Square, just so you can say you did it. I'd come out to do it with you :)

Heidi said...

I would love to see that show- I need to find a way out east...

Mike said...

Lin-Manuel Miranda = the man

Julia said...

I really want to see that! I love WaHi! And unlike other musicals, people really to dance and sing in the streets there-- the Dominicans throw the world's best parties.

Missy said...

I love the Assman license plate. We are Seinfeld lovers and it sort of made me laugh seeing it.

Love the purple eyeliner. Was it a pencil or a shadow turned liner with the angle brush? I know, too many questions, sorry.

Jill said...

I love my purple eyeliner. Cute photos of you girls. I also like the 'assman' pic of you and Mike. :)

k. said...

Missy, I ended up getting a pencil - but you could do the same thing w. a wet angled brush. :) It turns out that I already had dark, dark purple shadow that I did this with (I clearly have too much eyeshadow, because I just plain forgot), but I like the pencil sometimes.

Caitlin said...

Love these pics. I guess even if I can't see you all the time I can see what you are seeing via the photos on your blog. Looks like you had a blast. Mike should be happy about coming to Utah because it has snowed every day I have been here!

erin said...

remind me to ask you about this show. a friend of mine swore by it, but i don't know much about it. let's discuss sometime.