Feb 8, 2009

Brooklyn.


The 5 Boroughs that make up New York City: Staten Island, Queens, The Bronx, Brooklyn... & Manhattan.
.
All things considered, Manhattan is a pretty tiny (albeit well populated) part of New York City, but from the way many of us act, you'd think it was the center of the universe. JS took me on a little adventure yesterday to Ikea - in Brooklyn. Don't make fun of me. I clearly need to get out more often, because I felt like I went on a Saturday mini-vacation to a foreign land. Brooklyn is still a part of my city, but it feels like a totally different world. In fact, even our move from the Financial District to the Upper East Side a few years ago (!) resulted in a similar feeling. New York is funny like that - with each neighborhood & borough so unique & different from another.
.
In the works: plans for an all-day exploratory trip to the other borough. Ideas are welcome.

11 comments:

Stacey Sargent said...

Kathryn,
I can't tell you how much your comment meant to me. I read your blog all the time and it is soooo refreshing. You blog about REAL stuff and all the little stuff in between and i love it! so thank you for your kind words.

Stacey

erin said...

'the mini vacation to a foreign land' is referring to brooklyn, not ikea, right? if i don't go to ikea with a plan, i just walk around that place slack-jawed for three hours. what did you buy?

Jessica said...

cute blog. i saw it on erin's blog. i love the list about what to do in nyc. i'll be there in august and there's several things from your list i want to do. great list!

Missy said...

K, you need get into the NYC marathon. You would probably fall in love with your city all over again! (Right alongside side cramps and sore legs, but still oh so fun 26.2 miles)

Caitlin said...

I went to brooklyn right before we moved and was reminded how cool it is. You should definitely check out Dumbo.

This post makes me miss you and NYC

Lindsey said...

i've heard about a great indian restaurant in jackson heights. i always meant to go when i was there, but never made it... let me know if you want the name and i'll search in my gmail.

k. said...

e, Brooklyn, yes. Feels totally different. And Ikea? A whopping $20worth of purchases - a new clock for my living room wall that I love, some glasses, napkins & a lightblub for a friend. Mike told me I couldn't buy anything that had to be delivered.

Jill said...

a brooklyn day is in the works. my cousin will lend a hand in the planning i'm sure.

Sarah Jane said...

I love Brooklyn! If it didn't take me 3 x as long to get to work I'd move there in a heartbeat. I'd love to go on a Brooklyn mini-break with you sometime.

Louise said...

My friend Alie just opened a paper shop in Park Slope - Paper Love. She has excellent taste so you should check it out next time you're in Brooklyn!

k. said...

Louise, your friend Alie must know my friend Jill - because Jill has told me about that shop. I think they're in the same ward (Morningside Heights). I need to go!