Apr 18, 2009

Friday was a museum day.

Despite living in New York for the past almost-four years (next month is our Manhattan anniversary), there are still a zillion things that I haven't done in the city. That's one of the many reasons I love living here - my list is always endless, & sort of overwhelming. Not working the past few months (oh my gosh - it's been two) has been such a blessing in disguise in so many ways - one of which being that I've fallen in love with my city even more. 

Friend Lizzie & I met up (WAY up - 190th Street) at The Cloisters yesterday morning. It was such a spectacular morning & I took the time to walk around Fort Tyron Park & the gardens before Lizzie arrived. I called my mom because I was so excited - I was ALONE. Seriously, all alone. I couldn't see a single other human being for about 20 minutes. It was so quiet & beautiful overlooking the Hudson River & the George Washington Bridge. It's hard to find spots like that in New York. One of my favorite moments was when I saw a little boy get out of a cab with his father outside of the museum. He spun around in a circle & said, Dad! Look! No cars! It's so quiet! He was totally amazed.

The Cloisters are home to a collection of medieval art & architecture. While that probably isn't the kind of art that I'm most interested in, it was a lovely museum to visit. I kept telling Lizzie that it felt like we had taken a day trip to a European castle. 

We polished off our morning with a trip to Kitchenette. I ordered the banana pancakes, because I may have gone the day before with friend Corinne - & ordered my usual breakfast burrito + cheese grits - & I may have secretly coveted her banana pancakes. They were so good.


GW Bridge. We can see it from our apartment window, although it looks much smaller from where we are. 


Dad, look! I saw wildlife


A la DC


I. Love. Cobblestone.


I wasn't very good at noting what was what, but I know this door was OLD. 14th century, I think. I love doors


Pretty friend Lizzie + me. 

After a brief respite at home, I went on to meet friend Amy at The Guggenheim. I really like modern art (I really love the MOMA). It was very interesting to go to The Guggenheim. Their collection of modern & contemporary art was far more abstract than anything ever seen, & honestly, 98% of the pieces / exhibits had me really shaking my head in total confusion. The most bizarre: a very dark room with very strange lighting that made you kind of dizzy & nauseous, complete with neon shapes hanging from the ceiling & an almost indescribable piercing noise that sort of felt like futuristic torture. Oh - & there was a sign outside the door that said, Exhibit may alter psychological state. AND they made you take off your shoes. Yikes. 

Our favorite, I think - the Tehching Hsieh One Year Performance, Punching the Time Clock exhibit. For one year, every hour on the hour, 7 days a week, this man punched a time card & took a photo of himself in the same spot, wearing the same clothes. His head was initially shaved, & you can watch the passage of time by observing his hair grow & grow (& grow). Very interesting, although Amy & I agreed that he was probably OCD instead of the genius that the curator suggested (I don't accept her argument that his total exhaustion led to greater intellectual abilities).

The actual structure of the Guggenheim is copyrighted (?!), so you aren't allowed to take photos anywhere other than the main floor. I got yelled at once & decided to be obedient. 


11 comments:

Julia said...

I am so sad that I couldn't join you at the cloisters. I was on my way to San Francisco at the time. It's beautiful up there, huh?

I'm always up for museum trips, I would love to join you sometime. We still need to the tenement museum soon.

Lindsey said...

the cloisters, looks like you could be in england! cute pic of you and your friend.

Heidi said...

This makes my heart swoon for some culture, some New York. How very lucky you are to have time explore these wonderful things!

Sine family said...

I love that place. We should go again. I met a lady who suggested I prep Abbi before going and tell her its a beautiful castle full of beautiful things for princessess. I thought she would enjoy that so its on my list and we're going back.

Miggy said...

Oh man! That's my hood. I know we haven't connected yet and with only a month left in the city (i'm going out of town next week) I'm not sure it's gonna happen and DUDE I would have totally met up with you at the cloisters yesterday. In fact I walked up there this morning. Dang. Well I'm glad you got to see that part of the City...it's a total hidden gem.

Jill said...

the cloisters area really is so very beautiful! i have never been inside though... its on the list.

p.s. are those the sundance flats? cute.

p.p.s. kitchenette called. they're removing my membership and giving it to their more loyal customers. i owe that place a visit or 5.

erin said...

you. love. cobblestones. i. love. your shoes. yep. that place looks peaceful... i need some peace. must visit.

dad said...

Your photos should be in a NYC guide book.

Stacey Sargent said...

1. Love those bow flats so much! I am in serious need of comfortable, cute flats for work and you are the Queen Bee of cute ones...any suggestions?

2. Please tell me the trick of getting bigger pictures on here with rounded edges?? It's Lovely.

3. I think you and Mike are lovely!

the end.

Unknown said...

the weather looks perfect.

John said...

Sounds like fun. Emma and I went to Fort Tryon Park a few months ago and had a similar experience enjoying the peace. The only difference was that there were three of us (including Evelyn), so we have a way of bringing our own comotion. Also, we went to the New Leaf Restaurant, which I recommend.