Apr 20, 2009

Jon Schmidt.




I've always had a special spot in my heart for Jon Schmidt. I loved playing his music when I was younger (& still do, when I can get on a piano). When I was about 10, I remember listening to Homecoming & hearing my mom say  that she wanted one of us to play it at her funeral someday. I learned it as quickly as I could, although I hope I don't I have to play it for a large group any time soon. My collection of his books are almost worn completely thin - they're just falling apart, but I can't get rid of them.

My first real date with Mike was to a Jon Schmidt concert at Thanksgiving Point in August of 2003. It was a perfect August night, the setting was magical & the music was beautiful. When he put his arm around me (Mike, not Jon), I almost fainted. We went to the same concert the following August, & his Christmas concert in between. We still love listening to him, especially on Sunday afternoons. Point being - I've always loved the piano, I've always loved Jon Schmidt's modern compositions & it's been the backdrop of a few special things in my life.

Mike's mom sent us this video yesterday & I think it's just so great. I think my nephew Spencer might like it, too. He just so happens to know all of the words to Love Story. 

5 comments:

Marcus Lane said...

if you want to hear it live, just come to my parents house any tuesday afternoon in SLC and you will get a free show.

he is my little sisters piano teacher.

Missy said...

I didn't know you played the piano! I gave it up when I was in fifth grade and wish I hadn't...

erin said...

jon schmidt's "i do" is the last song on our wedding video. it makes me all teary every time i hear it. sigh. jon schmidt. kind of love him.

chelsea mckell said...

another JS fan here. Love him. Probably the most entertaining pianist (is that the right title for him? seems wrong) in the world to watch live. Saw him once at a fireside years ago. This is the 3rd blog I've seen this video posted on!
To M and N: Jon is your sister's piano teacher?!?! That's like having Bob or Jillian as your personal trainer...
To Missy: Yes, Kathryn plays the piano - extremely amazingly well! Apparently she's been hiding her talent.

oh - and one more thing (because I'm trying to win the contest for the longest comment) - I love that you're posting your training log! It's fun to read. Yay for running.

Tara Edwards said...

And I'm so bad, I haven't even logged on to show him yet! I'll do it tomorrow morning before school. Promise!