May 24, 2009

Saturdays are for arepas & cupcakes.


We love our arepas, & took another trip back last night with the friends Lloyds + Burtons. What is an arepa?, you might ask. Visit here. Our favorite, by the way, is the De Pabellón - shredded beef, plantains, white salty cheese & black beans. Yum. It's a must-get for anyone who ventures down to the East Village. The restaurant is tiny & not a great place for a group larger than 4 (let alone a group with strollers), but it was a beautiful night & we found a nearby park with plenty of benches. The apparent excess of crazy people talking to themselves provided the entertainment.

Oh - & on accident, we ran into Butter Lane on 7th Street. It looked too cute to resist so we stopped by on our way home. I love a good cupcake (really?!), & these were wonderful. Organic, not too sugary or dense, made with local ingredients & custom. I liked that I could choose my cupcake "cake", & then choose the frosting to top it with - but not before sampling it, first. My pick - a banana cake with lemon frosting. Delicious. I want to go back, very soon. 

Happy Memorial Day Weekend. We have big plans of packing (our apartment is a disaster), & maybe another trip down to the East Village for some hot dogs. Yes, I said hot dogs. 

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Yum now I want to try an arepa. Is that one with the avocado in it pictured?

Suzi said...

Both look sooo good!

Jill said...

so good. the de pabellon was our favorite also. lets go again (to both the arepa bar and butter lane/land/world...you know what im talking about).

erin said...

and next time, if we're really feeling hungry/stupid, let's polish off our fried venezuelan food and buttercream cupcakes with some greasy belgian fries and slippery mayo dipping sauce. should we start fasting now?

Lindsey said...

I want an arepa now. Never heard of them before, but I want one.

dad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jan said...

That sounds SO good. I'm making a list of your favorite places and will insist that next time we travel East that we spend a disporportionate time eating at your favorite places.