Jul 4, 2009

Coney Island.









4+ years in New York, & we had never been to Coney Island. We took the Q train out early on Friday morning with the Burton, Mackay & Lloyd clans. It turns out that it's much better than I expected, even though my expectations were already a little low. The beach, the rides, the freak show (?!) - it just all doesn't really have a reputation of being a particularly classy affair, but I was reasonably impressed. We had a good time. The rides were cute (the little ones rode them - we didn't). The ferris wheel was pretty. The boardwalk was fun, & made me feel like I was having a classic American experience. The beach - albeit peppered with broken class that made me really watch my step - was relatively nice, even though I'd never actually let the water touch my face. Nathan's Hot Dogs were yummy but messy. The funnel cake that Suzi got was delicious (although actually watching them make it - drenched in oil - almost made me enjoy it a tiny bit less). We even caught a bit of a pro-volleyball tournament before calling it a day.

Oh - It should be noted that despite the fact that I am wearing apparently the most unflattering shirt on the planet, my body image was greatly improved after seeing some of the bathing beauties on the beach & realizing how modest I was. It always strikes me as odd that some of these people put on their string bikinis, look in the mirror & say, This is incredibly flattering. I think I'll wear it in public. I'm all for dressing for your body type.

Anyway. It was fun to go with our friends. We love them.

We might just go back.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I love these photos. They may be some of my favorites. I'm not sure if I could brave that beach though.

And can any shirts not flatter you? The first thing I thought when I saw the mike + kathryn picture was, "oohh.. I like that shirt."

Missy said...

is there nothing better than ice cream (any food, actually) on the beach? something about the air I think.

This looks fun. Bummer though that NY doesn't have the same law CA does (no glass on the beach). That could get tricky with kids especially.

Even still, it felt like I was there with your gorgeous photos.

Jill said...

I stumbled upon your blog through Amy's (an old friend from nursing school) and had to comment. Your family is lovely and your photos are gorgeous. You're living the life in Manhattan that I miss! We moved away a couple of years ago for business school. Glad to see you are well.

Jill (Spongberg)

Lindsey said...

these pics are really fun. i love the one of you and mike. i think you look so pretty! and i love what you're wearing...you look so summery.

the one of you and your friends is really cute too.

fun times!

Lizzie said...

JT went to Coney Island once when he lived out here for his internship, and has had no interest in going back. But your pictures make it look so much fun! Maybe I'll have to put it back on my NYC to do list. It does look like a classic American experience.

Heather said...

I've always wanted to go there! Did you see the hotdog eating contest there? I saw it on the news.

erin said...

i love crossing things off my 'new york things to do list.' this was fun.

next time, i'm thinking thongs.

Jill said...

That was really fun, I'm glad we went. Let's do it again soon.

ps. maybe i need to switch up my profile pic, jill and i are twiners.

Morgan said...

These pictures are so much fun! Clearly, you had a great time. Coney Island has been on my to-do list for some time now. One of these days...

Jill said...

i love the picture of jill tossing wyatt. so adorable.

and erin - are those CROCS i see on fox's feet? ;)

i love your food pictures. especially the white/blue/red slushies. fantastic.

suz said...

I love all the colors

Lula. said...

that looks like so much fun. i have always wanted to go there. there is something so nostalgic about it all...