Jul 12, 2009

Dinosaur in Harlem.

We went with friends Mackays & Burtons up to Dinosaur Barbeque on last night. A cab driver first told me about it a few years ago & I've had it on my list ever since. Mike & I have had reservations a few times, but have always cancelled at the last minute because we didn't want to make the trek all the way to west Harlem, but it finally happened. The place is fun. Huge, noisy, messy, big open windows, biker gangs, bottomless Coke... It was great. My favorites - the salted potatoes, macaroni & cheese, & the wings - even though I'm really not a meat-on-the-bone kind of girl. The sauce was amazing. The pulled pork was yummy. I wish we would have saved room for dessert, but I already mentioned that we had arepas for lunch. That noise you just heard? My stomach protesting.

We even played a little game of spot the other Mormons in the restaurant. It's not hard. Generally attractive, quite wholesome, knee-length shorts or denim skirts, mysterious undershirts + men all wearing matching white undershirts under their polos. Oh, & cute kids. Mike made a loud (intentional) mention of Brigham Young & of course their heads turns & introductions were made. Funny.

Oh - after much discussion, Mike & I think that the best barbeque in New York Cite vote still goes to Blue Smoke, as good as Dinosaur was. The sweet potato fries? Absolutely amazing. I'd go just to eat those as a mid-afternoon snack. Anyone, anyone?

7 comments:

Julia said...

haha-- dinosaur BBQ! reminds me of the good old days (the single days, Dinosaur or Deluxe-- Saturday nights were awesome!).

They cater our lunches all the time. We are high-class at the b-school!

chelsea mckell said...

I loved reading about Mike's "spot the Mormons" game. That's the type of thing I miss being able to do!

Lizzie said...

Kathryn.

I have a funny story to tell you. Our very good friends Taylor & Melinda were telling us today at church about how they went to Dinosaur barbeque this weekend, & their story included finding other mormons at the restaurant. I asked if they exchanged names, because we might know them. They couldn't remember names, & JT thought I was crazy for thinking I would know the random mormons they ran into.

And then I read your blog. Victory.

I love this small, small world (& church).

laurel said...

their mac & cheese? my all-time favorite.

k. said...

Lizzie, NO WAY. That's really, really funny actually. They told us that they were from Greenwich / Stamford, and the other couple from Long Island. They must REALLY love Dinosaur. :)

Angie said...

Love that place! We've got to try Blue Smoke now too!

erin said...

i keep forgetting about the sweet potato fries at blue smoke. i'd go for a snack. would we get laughed out of the restaurant for only wanting fries and cokes?