Sep 19, 2009

Happy Hour, Mormon Style.


I may post somewhat often about food, but it's sort of a package deal with living in New York (& being LDS). We don't have backyards or massive homes to congregate in. We can't congregate in large groups in people's homes because very few of us have more than 800 square feet. And, separating us from much of our peer group, we don't meet up at bars to grab a drink. So what do we do? We improvise. We eat. Together. And it's tons of fun, so don't even make fun of me.

It turns out that Big Daddy's (our favorite neighborhood diner) has a happy hour every day from 3-6pm every day. All shakes, appetizers & desserts are 1/2 half off, which means that their yummy shakes go for about $3. A few of us met up there yesterday afternoon & I've decided that it should be an almost-weekly tradition.

The sad news is that I met Mike in Soho an hour later for an early dinner at Cafe Habana. All I could fit in my stomach (after my oreo shake at Big Daddy's) was a piece of their corn. I mean, it's really, really amazing corn - topped with spicy chili, cotija cheese, & a creamy white substance that I won't mention by name because it grosses me out to think about it. It's like La Esquina's. But maybe better. And their Cuban sandwich is fantastic. I just couldn't do it. Any of you who have been there understand what a sad situation this really was.
.
But Big Daddy's? It's a really great excuse to get together with friends on a Friday afternoon, even if it means maybe spoiling dinner. And obviously - an open invite to anyone who wants to come next week.

4 comments:

Abbie said...

wawawa. It's true. Eating is good fun. And I can always remember what I said the morning after.

Tara Edwards said...

Yummmm!!!!! I saw a recipe the other day for corn on the cob that was rolled in cheese that looked amazing. Put it on my list for November K!

erin said...

curse you big daddy... that corn is manna from heaven.

erin said...

and i like what's going on in here with your header. tres chic.