Jan 5, 2010

5 Year Diary.



I'm a relatively decent (i.e. frequent) blogger & a very bad journal keeper, but since a blog is generally quite sanitized, I just don't think it quite qualifies as a true journal. This is problematic in that I probably should be a journal keeper but am fairly certain that I don't have the patience do so. I would, however, like to have something that's not for your eyes, dear Internet. No offense.

Solution: Friend Mary clued me into the 5 Year Diary. It arrived today & I love it. A page for every day of the year, with just a few lines to fill in with whatever I'd like. Simple, & I suspect that it will be fun to look back at what I was doing last year, & the year before (etc).

This article from the New York Times inspired its creation.

9 comments:

Merel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Merel said...

I totally relate to what you're saying about keeping a journal. But this seems like a good solution. Good luck!

di said...

that is seriously a very cool NYT article! thanks for sharing. :)

molly said...

I have that journal. Got it in 2007. Didn't stick but I just dusted it off and have two more years to make it good. Thanks for the inspiration!

Mike said...

The moral of the article: Only people who have forsaken their dreams end up in Connecticut. Nice.

Mike said...

(PS - I can't wait to hear about your latent lesbianism, which I presume is a requisite entry for this kind of journal)

Emily Kate said...

I bought this for myself for my birthday last year and used it for maybe...a month. But I felt frustrated because somedays two sentences was plenty and other days I felt like I couldn't condense to two sentences, (you know, those things that you don't want to share on your blog but want to record) so why bother? But I hope it works for you and can't wait to hear what you think of it!

Morgan said...

Many years ago, I was a very good journal keeper. Not anymore. Brand new journals filled with page after page of lines, and lines, and more lines always make me feel just a little bit intimidated. Kinda scary. This sounds perfect. I recently made a bunch of journals as Christmas gifts and now I only wish that I'd thought to make them more like this.

k. said...

** Update **

Loving, loving this journal. LOVING it. I've done it every day, & we ended up buying one for Mike, too. Fun.