Jan 17, 2010

Food.








We've had a nice weekend of eating so far.

Friday night - Pio Pio on the West Side with the Egans (where they have the full menu, vs. the East Side location that is smaller, with a limited menu). We love Peruvian food, & are big fans of the spicy green sauce that you can put on just about anything. Kind of like the tomatillo Cafe Rio sauce, but better. We ate Lomo Saltado, my very favorite Peruvian dish. Steak, rice, french fries (?!), tomatoes... all mixed together. Plus lots of green sauce, of course.

Last night - Malaysian, at Nyona on Grand Street (is that China Town, Soho or Little Italy? I'm going with Little Italy). We love eating with Tim & Amy in part because they're always up for something different (we're thinking Moroccan or Trinidadian next), not to mention the fact that they're just some of our very favorite people. The verdict of Malaysian is that it's sort of like Thai, maybe with some Indian influences, & slightly more... mushy. It was good. I liked everything we got except for Mike's sour plum juice (it was really, really gross but good for him for giving it a shot), & maybe the texture of the Sarong Burong was a little off (the taro was sort of grainy & mushy). I managed to hang on to my chop sticks until I was almost finished with my meal, but my fingers started to hurt, so I caved & asked for a fork.

Our Saturday was nice. We woke up at a decent hour, exercised (Mike to his normal Saturday morning basketball with the boys at the church, me to the gym). We ate a yummy lunch together. We went to the temple. The weather was balmy. I like that it's a long weekend & we still have 2 days left. I like that we have church at 11am now instead of 9am. And I like that we're having the missionaries over tonight & I'm making my favorite dinner for the 2nd time this week. I really don't understand people who don't like cilantro...

9 comments:

Jan said...

Oh yum! I think I could eat out every single meal if they were all as good as the ones you described. Taste is one of lifes great gifts..don't you think?...Along with great friends to share the experience with.

Angie said...

Wasn't the weather gorgeous yesterday?! We went for a run over to your area because I've recently discovered how nice, clean and beautiul it is over there. I had to show Klane. Love the houses in the 60s and 70s. And we've triend Nyona too and loved it! We'll definitely have to try Peruvian too.

Thanks for the comment, and although four grocery stores in my neighborhood yielded no results in the enchilada sauce search, I do know I could find abundant Mexican food and ingredients in East Harlem. It just seemed easier to go to a store around the corner from my office than to make the obnoxious cross-town trek to get to the east side after a long day at work.

Louise said...

I love trying different food too - I think that's one of the fun things about living in major cities, that you really can have such a diverse choice of foods. And eating out with friends is the best - there is something about sharing conversation over food that is just perfect. You'll have to let me know how the Trinidadian food is when you go.

And, um, I don't like cilantro! (did you know in the UK we call it coriander?!). But I think we could still be friends - if you made me something with it in, I would eat it! ;o)

Amy said...

I'm surprised you gave the Malaysian food such a good review, even after you found that unexpected bone in what you thought was a potato....=)

Julie said...

Cilantro is a staple in our home. Your pictures make food look better!

k. said...

Okay, Louise, I had no idea! Seriously. I just googled it, & you weren't kidding. I'd love to know why I have a jar of dried coriander AND a jar of dried cilantro (which I never use - fresh is SO much better) in my cupboard. Hmm.

Jill said...

Sounds delicious. And I'm pretty sure I need to try that enchilada recipe very soon. I love enchiladas.

Louise said...

haha, maybe you picked up the coriander because you thought it sounded more exotic?! Either that or you really DO love cilantro!

Missy said...

No way...I didn't know that about coriander and cilantro. You should grow your own cilantro if you like it that much. It's cheaper and tasty.

Your weekend eating sounds delicious, but I am not nearly as adventurous as you in the eating out department!