Mar 18, 2010

Toms.

Internet, I'm the proud owner. 

As is approximately 3/4ths of the Upper East Side apparently, based on the shop that I bought them in today. They've been around for a while now I know, but they're making a big appearance this spring in Manhattan. A woman next to me in the store today said, I'm going to Vietnam for several weeks. I need something comfortable & from a company with a social conscience. Seriously. She didn't look hipster enough to be wearing them, but I guess the appeal is universal. Voila. She's found her perfect shoes.

I've had my own little search for something easy (no socks required - I hate socks) + neutral + comfortable for our trip this weekend (not to mention my daily walkings - I think I've zigzagged the park east to west at least a half dozen times this week) & was inspired - aka I'm a complete copycat - by my fashionable friends today to finally take the Toms plunge. Jill, Erin, Corrine, Melanie & I walked across the park & grabbed lunch to go at Shake Shack & then squatted in the park on blankets. 70˚! I was hot! It was lovely. And surprise, surprise. 3 pairs of Tom's in the group, & they all claimed to have happy feet all day long. I was sold.

(Oh - & sidenote: Pregnancy hasn't ruined Shake Shack for me, but I've had to make a few adjustments. Like my beloved Shack Burger? Yeah, I can't really do creamy sauces any more, & lettuce has made me throw up since about week 5, & I stopped being able to eat tomatoes after we made a fresh tomato / basil / mozzarella pizza one day about a month ago & the tomatoes were warm & gooey. Anyway - my Shack Burger is now a plain cheeseburger - just cheese, meat & a bun. Oh well.)

Loving the weather this week. It's seriously unbelievable. Reminds me why I love the city all over again. Here's to lots of walking this weekend & this spring. 

12 comments:

Louise said...

I LOVE the concept of you buy a pair, and they will donate a pair to a child. Can you wear them with skirts, or do they only look good with trousers?

Have a wonderful time in Amsterdam - I cannot wait to see your photos!

Jill said...

love the blue. i mean, they are no grey....but they will do :)

k. said...

L, I tried my on with cropped jeans (capris, more or less) & I thought they were cute with some leg showing. I'd be fine wearing them with jeans or slim shorts. I like them. :)

Unknown said...

I'm always in the market for comfortable and not unfashionable (don't have to be "fashionable," just "not unfashionable") shoes. I'll have to check these out.

So excited to see your pics from Amsterdam.

Tara Edwards said...

They sort of look like Dad's slippers, but they look very comfortable :) What do I know. I live in flip flops 12 months of the year!

erin said...

a child in africa thanks you for your purchase. i love knocking out my shopping + good deed for the day all in one shot.

Missy said...

I've been looking for striped ones of these for months and months. all sold out.

cute.

Kera said...

you should try a pair of sanuks. mike too. we love em.

Lindsey said...

nice!

70?! Okay, it's been 55 here and I'm over the moon. I hope 70 travels here FAST.

Have fun this weekend!

caitlin and brinton said...

I second Kera's comment. Me, my brother and Brinton LOVE our Sanuks - they're amazingly comfortable - you really feel like you're not wearing shoes. And no socks required.
http://sanuk.com/products/341036

Lula. said...

I wear mine everyday... even through these horrid winter months. They are just so dang comfy. And yes, with no socks.

I love the navy! And send that weather our way. I hope all is going well the the pregnancy (so far)!

Mike said...

Ghetto argentine cowboy shoes become a fashion trend in NYC. Following this logic, I predict the following trend on the horizon: Sandals worn by Bolivian miners that are fashioned out of tires and nails.

PS - I STARTED the NYC Sanuk trend. Three pairs, dating back two years. Don't even front.