May 3, 2010

Central Park 2010 Kickoff.

When I saw that the forecast called for 88˚ for Sunday, I knew that it was time for the annual Central Park Sunday Picnic kickoff. I sent out an email & the troops were organized. Sunday proved to be a little chaotic, but I'm so glad we were able to get to the park, relax with friends, & eat some really great food (kiwi tarts! fish tacos! broccoli salad! strawberry jello! quinoa salad! muffins!). We stayed until the sun went down - the girls chatting, the kids playing, & the boys playing endless games of horse shoes & tossing around with the lacrosse sticks. As long as the weather is decent, I'm fairly certain that we'll be on the east side of the Great Lawn every Sunday this summer. Even if the grass makes me sneeze. 

When we were in our cab on the way over, I mentioned to Mike that this is our third summer on the Upper East Side, & our third summer of Sunday afternoons at Central Park. We're probably two days away from signing a lease for a new apartment (stressful - but exciting!), & I'm fairly certain that we'll never live south of the park again. We love our backyard. 




Miss Indiana.



Emma. Kathryn. Erin. (Hello, first day of humidity. Not-so-nice to meet you.)


Avery, Evelyn & Fox (clearly loving the attention from the ladies).



Fox & Coach Matt + baseball.


Isn't Emma pretty? She does pregnancy so well.



Fox & Will.


A rousing game of horseshoes. Team Mike & Matt ("Team Grow", given their shared ancestry) held on to their ongoing domination & clutched the win.



I took this photo while giving Charissa a mini-lesson on aperture (shot it at f/2.8 on my 70-200mm) but I like it! Nature! It's so beautiful right now.

10 comments:

mb said...

so sad we missed it!!! but luckily it's only the beginning!!

(the amount of exclamation points I used right there disturbs me...apologies)

Tara Edwards said...

What an amazing backyard, and a fun tradition! We do hamburgers after church with friends and we trade houses, so that sort of counts as a summer tradition! Central Park on Sunday sounds like the perfect place to go!

Jill said...

fun! one day ill get my act together and join you!

Kera said...

looks AMAZING.

Jill said...

bahhhhh this looks SO FUN. i'm so mad we missed the kick-off but i'm planning to be present in the future. i love all the pics of the kiddos.

Missy said...

your baby boy is coming into a fun group of friends!

this sounds like a really great tradition. what is your new place like?!

Becky said...

Ohhh, looking at your pictures makes me so sad we missed the party. Dang baby decided he wanted a nice long nap:) Can't wait to join the fun another time. Oh and by the way, Happy Anniversary! You two are a beautiful couple!

Jan said...

What a happy day! I especially love the picture of the little ones with their backs to the camera...simply precious.

Kelly said...

Beautiful pictures Kathryn. I wish I was your friend in NY so you could take picture of me and my family! Were they all taken on that lens (70-200)?

k. said...

Thanks Kelly. :)

Yup - I only had my 70-200mm on that day. It's my favorite, hands down - but so, so heavy.