May 19, 2010

Claps for Amy.







I'm generally not a huge fan of blog bragging, but I think it's socially acceptable to brag about your friends, right??

Friend Amy graduated from Columbia on Monday with her MPH (Master of Public Health) degree. So proud of her! I was so happy that I got to go to her graduation. When I first saw her in her cap & gown I almost burst into tears (hormones, anyone?) because I thought about how proud her little baby boy will be of her someday. His mama is smart, & she's done such good work - in DC, in New York & in Africa. And get this - her worst grade? A B+. Just one of them. Kind of kills me, really. 

President Clinton gave the commencement address (Chelsea was in Amy's class - I'll save my paparazzi photo of her on crutches for People.com). I think he looks like Santa Clause. Such fluffy, white hair! But he talked about some interesting issues in regards to healthcare & I liked what he had to say - although staunch Republicans likely would have likely thrown up by the time he was finished. I was happy I got to hear him speak. 

We're happy that Amy & Tim are sticking around for another year (at least?!). Other spring graduates (friend Matt - Columbia MBA, Mary with her PhD, & friend Brad - from Columbia's SIPA Master's program) are leaving the city, which makes this spring feel rather conflicting... Happy / Sad. Happy / Sad. Mostly sad, actually. Sigh. 

Congrats to Amy + a big round of internet applause. Can't wait for our boys to be buddies in the fall. 

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Blogging, by nature, is a form bragging, I think.

k. said...

Well then, I'll be guilty of bragging about my good friend who did something really amazing & is totally deserving of congratulations on the www & otherwise.

:)

Mary Elizabeth Liberty said...

a big congrats to Amy and all her good grades. Can't wait to see what she does in the future!

Heidi said...

As it should be!