Aug 7, 2011

Sunday.





It was humid enough this morning on our walk to church that my lens was all foggy when I pulled out my camera to snap a few photos - of our final walk to church in New York City. I think it made for pretty photos (I just added a teensy bit of a vignette), but I'll admit that the Upper East Side was a little smelly this morning. Maybe because of the humidity. And a few piles of garbage. Humidity + garbage = warm garbage, & warm garbage is never a good thing. Whatever the case, Mike said it was nature's way of telling me that it's okay that we're leaving.

So, we went to our ward for the last time. Our home for the last four & a half years (after two years downtown), but don't get me started on this, because I haven't cried since I escaped the building as quickly as I could, immediately after church ended. Public crying is not my favorite thing, & when I woke up this morning with a tension headache, I knew that something was building up. It didn't help that almost every testimony shared in sacrament meeting focused on community & friendship, & that friend Kelsey gave the very best lesson in Relief Society on that latter topic. Because I really needed to be reminded about how sad I am to leave our friends (that are family) in New York.

Anyway. Our last Sunday. I've loved our ward, I've loved our church community on the Upper East Side, & I love that we've grown up here & built our family here. 

But like I said. Don't get me started. 

I'm trying so very hard to stay on top of life. I just updated Q's blog, because if I get too far behind, the wheels in my brain won't stop spinning. I should be sleeping, or cleaning, or organizing something, or sleeping (did I already say that?), but sometimes it feels good to check something off of the list. So. He's current, but this little blog... Where to begin? Friends Jamie & Megan came for a visit several weeks ago. We spent a few weeks in Europe. We just got back from a really, really lovely trip to Priest Lake

Let's all spell together: P-H-O-T-O-S. 

I'm up to my elbows in them. Not to mention the family photos I took before Europe, & pile on some really beautiful (I think) wedding photos on top of that. I have a lot of photos. And since I like to do things with all of these photos, it stresses me out a teensy bit when I start to feel like I have piles of them. PILES, I tell you. 

And then!

There's this moving thing. To The Great State of Texas, which kind of feels like it should maybe be another country. Mike is heading to Houston tomorrow for the final inspection on our home, & in the meantime, I keep updating my various lists on my iPhone. Haircut, errands, see friends, find a car, buy a washer & dryer, arrange furniture shipments, secure home insurance, find a doctor for Q in The Woodlands, sell a zillion things on Craigs List (Bugaboo Cameleon, anyone?!) & figure out how to pack all of our most precious belongings (that shouldn't go in a moving van) + everything needed for a beach vacation (Hilton Head) and life in Houston until our moving truck shows up into several small suitcases that we can manage between the two of us while also wrangling an 11-month-old baby & his accessories. Through airports. Oh, & don't forget sheets, an air mattress, & Q's travel crib on top of all of that for the camping that we'll do in our home after we arrive.

Deep breaths, deep breaths. 

Let's talk about what I have to be grateful for: Good food + friends! Kelsey & Robby had us over tonight, & we felt so loved by our friends, & our bellies were happy to have something in them other than what is currently in our fridge (um, nothing). Family! We had a really, really fantastic time at Priest Lake. Maybe the best ever, & as my dad got almost everyone (missed you, Elizabeth) in my family together Friday night to say a prayer with us before we left, I couldn't help but be really super-duper overwhelmed by how much I love my family. The best part is that I know that they love us. Also! Q learned how to wave while we were there, & it's one of his best tricks yet. Mike's littlest brother gets home this Thursday from his mission in Honduras & we're so excited to get to spend some time with him, especially since this time will be on the beach.

Speaking of Q: I can't believe that this same dress looked like this almost a year ago. Where has the time gone? 

8 comments:

Kera said...

you have A LOT on your plate. i can't wait to hear how it all goes & i wish we could be of more help.

the lake was SO fun this last week, wasn't it! one of my favorite trips too, minus the fact that i am massive. i was coveting your skinny mini bod & yellow striped romper/jumpsuit?? the entire time. not to mention your MJ bag, so so cute.

good luck with everything and thank you for all of the beautiful photos from our trip. :)

will the next time i see you be on our ski trip??? you should just come out for thanksgiving. we will be a little stuck here because of new baby P.

Heidi said...

Love that dress on you.

Good luck with everything!!!

Whitney said...

I must say, for how much you have on your plate right now, I am impressed that you & Q still look put together and happy! I think I would be a hot mess. You don't give yourself enough credit Miss Kathryn!

My good (childhood) friend lives in the woodlands. She has a little boy that is about 8 months. She has a pediatrician who she adores. Do you want me to get you his name/ number?

Jill said...

I think goodbyes are so hard! Good luck getting everything wrapped up this week. xo

Jeanne said...

Quinn looks so grown up in his jacket and khakis! Bryan's going to be so excited to meet him!

Jill said...

i'm calling you tomorrow.

remember my last day at church?! talk about humiliating.

erin said...

and you all wore the most perfect outfits to your last M2 sacrament meeting. i love (and remember) that dress, and q's jacket? it just won't quit. darling.

i think crossing off washer and dryer should be done with a big, fat, red sharpie marker, cos that was a big one. you now own a fabulous washer and dryer; think of how wonderfully your own home will smell with the scents of gain detergent + bounce dryer sheets.

Jennifer said...

Cute dress. And cuter Q.

Totally random, but it might be worth packing the strollers and selling them in Houston. More demand maybe? I was shocked at how much interest I had when I posted the bug on CL. Just a thought.

Are there Mormons in TX? I kid.