Sep 12, 2011

Book therapy.



Baby is sleeping, husband is traveling, laundry is folded, & as of today, all of my books are finally put away. The nail that kept causing my rear tire to deflate over the past few days has been removed + the tire patched (after surviving 90 minutes at Discount Tire with an almost-1-year-old), & we shared a Spicy Chicken Sandwich at Chick-fil-A for dinner (feel free to nominate me for Mother of the Year). I went to the hardware store & bought the materials to install the mobile in the nursery (if only I were tall enough...), bathed & fed Q before putting him down for bed (in his crib! finally - we're finished sleeping in the closet), downloaded photos from our weekend in Austin, caught up with sister-in-law Cara over the phone, & sorted through some (simple) supplies that came in the mail for Q's upcoming birthday soiree this weekend.

The next few weeks are busy. Seeing friends & family, furniture arriving (hooray!) over the next several weeks, lots of travel for Mike (apparently the norm these days), & Quinn & I... we're still working on getting settled, & all that comes with that. In the meantime, I still haven't been able to fully digest the past several months, & every once in a while, I get overwhelmed when I'm sifting through all of the memories - the places we traveled, the people we saw & met, our friends that we exchanged see you later's with, all of the changes that have taken place. So much has happened in such a condensed period of time. I've found that 98% of the time, my brain feels like it's about ready to burst.

So. I organized books today. They're mostly in semi-temporary places, but at least they have a home for now. This order - it gives me a sense of calm. Lining them up, making them straight, organizing by topic, or color, etc... We'll call it book therapy.

11 comments:

Lindsey said...

LOVE it. It looks so good. And I think splitting a chick-fil-a sandwich is perfectly acceptable, by the way.

Jan said...

Nice! I like the color balance and the way you included favorite things from your last home...Just perfect!

Kera said...

it looks great.

Tara Edwards said...

They look so pretty! And Quinn makes for a cute tv! You should just make little red curtains and it can be his stage!

By the way. I don't think "busy" ever ends. I've learned to appreciate the tiny moments of calm in-between the craziness so I don't loose my mind. Not busy would be boring.

Jill said...

i like this a lot. everything fits perfectly. the blocks look adorable in there.

Oslo på svenska said...

Looks stunning! I'm way jealous of how you manage to get everything to look so put together in a laid back way! Where are the abc blocks from?

k. said...

Thanks, Oslo! The blocks are from Uncle Goose. I bought a set off of Mini Social when I first found out I was pregnant, & then was gifted a second set just before Q was born. Anthropologie carries them as well.

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=073211&navAction=jump&navCount=

erin said...

love button. i kind of can't get over how everything just fits perfectly. like, did you measure the block jar and tell the built-ins guy to "make this work?"

Jennifer said...

It's perfect! All of it!

Alissa said...

Q is the best bookcase accessory.

Whitney said...

I hate you for being so perfect at everything & love you all the same time.

Is that possible?