Jan 20, 2007

1.20.2007


We look young in this picture. Strangely enough, this was taken only 2 years ago while we were in Spokane for my sisters wedding (just a few weeks after our engagement - Mike's timing before my sister's wedding was smart, as we were able to avoid the "So, what's going on with you guys... you've been dating a long time" inquiries which we were already so used to). Sometimes it is very strange to sit back and reflect on the passage of time, even the short months that have passed between this picture and NOW.

I live in Manhattan, 3,000 miles away from my family. I have a HUSBAND. We're allowed to live together. I have a job that is utterly exhausting at times. I pay bills, clean the bathroom (okay, Mike cleans the bathroom), go grocery shopping, sign apartment leases, plan meals, contribute to a 401K account and keep (try) a budget. I am a full blown A-D-U-L-T. Sometimes it is scary.

This week I felt like a very boring (corporate) adult. I worked close to 70 hours, including part of the supposed holiday on Monday. I live on Wall Street, but walk out the back of my building (Beaver Street) to get to & from work each day. I was shocked last night to realize that I had not stepped foot on Wall Street from Sunday (church) until last night. This was not a positive indication of good work/life balance this week. I was utterly exhausted last night, but not tired enough to turn down an invitation from our friends Kellie & Jason to see a late-night movie. It was so nice to be at an address other than 63 Wall Street or 85 Broad. It felt great to walk up to the theaters at Battery Park and get some fresh albeit cold air. We got home really late and woke up around 10:30 this morning. I felt like I was back in college again (well, plus a husband), and it was a lovely change of pace from the rest of my week.

Today was fun. We managed to make it to the gym this morning (three weeks going strong- we are both enjoying our re-discovered muscles) and caught up on laundry. I spent the afternoon & early evening with my friend Mary, taking advantage of Ikea's free (not luxury) shuttle service between Port Authority & their Elizabeth, NJ store. Mary has an empty apartment to fill with furniture so we had fun picking things out for a few hours. I managed to come away with a small bookshelf to hold all the plethora of titles I intend to read this year, and a few other miscellaneous things with which to more effectively organize my tiny apartment. I love Ikea. With Target & Costco, it definitely makes my "If I had an unlimited budget" wish list. I only wish I had a reason (and the funds) to re-decorate my entire aparment!

Mike makes me PROUD, by the way. He has been working so hard since we came to New York. He is so smart. He received some great news at work this week, so we went out to celebrate tonight at a restaurant that has been on our "to try" list (I have a lot of lists) for a while. Jane was delicious. Mike ordered a hamburger (he likes to do this at nice restaurants - it's endearing), and I had tuna with a butternut squash sauce and black Thai rice. It was really good, but I think that having tuna several times this week (lots of eating out with work, and I try to eat fish when I go out since I don't make it at home- it is not Mike's favorite) was a little bit of overkill. The thought of just-seared tuna kind of makes me nauseous right now, actually. Guess I'm not eating sushi for a few weeks...

My family is great. I loved talking to my dad today. We spoke on the phone a few hours ago about the amazing Grey's Anatomy episode this week. We have a great friendship, supplemented by this mutual love for Seattle Grace Hospital and for Dwight on The Office. My mom, too. She wants me to make her a CD full of the cool indie songs that are the backdrop for all the drama on Grey's. My parents are cool, and they are my best friends.

OH! And it snowed. Yesterday. In the morning, for about an hour or so. The view from the 30th floor of our apartment was spectacular. I just wish it had stuck! Winter had thus far skipped NYC this year so evidence of its return was much appreciated.

Almost midnight and time for bed!

No comments: