Sep 22, 2007

"I could NEVER live in New York City..."

...The typical refrain of someone born, raised, and trained to love suburban / rural life. We had dinner tonight with some friends (Utah transplants) that swear by this mantra. They've begrudgingly moved to New York for professional and educational reasons, and in an attempt to keep one foot in what they perceive to be "normal life" (drive a Honda Civic, shop at Wal-Mart, have a dog, sit on a front porch with a pot belly and a wife-beater, insert your stereotype of choice), they've instead chosen to live on the opposite shore of the Hudson River in Jersey City.

When challenged about how I could deal with "so many people" and the "constant noise," I have to say, I had no idea what this person was talking about. I responded that these things aren’t the hurdle of city life, but rather the attraction. Before moving here, I never envisioned living in the city, but now that I'm here, I feel plugged in to humanity in a way that I've never before experienced. There’s a constant pulse coursing through every-day existence.


After walking away from dinner, I was quickly reminded of just how close to humanity I really am. On the way to the subway, I saw a gentleman standing at a phone booth exactly like this one, using it as a urinal. I suppose the rationale in doing so was that the booth shielded his package from view on both sides, making it kosher to drain the snake with gusto. Out of sight? Anything goes! I saw the same reasoning used in Bolivia – men would grab their members in the middle of the street using a reverse “three-finger shield” (shown below) and let nature take its course. As long as no flesh was directly in view, no foul.


The fun was just beginning! As we descended down the subway steps, we were greeted by a massive pile of neon orange, extra chunky vomit.


(I considered posting an actual photo, but better judgment prevailed. But hey, if you’re curious, just throw the word “vomit” in a Google Images search. Oh, the things you’ll see…)

I’m not sure where this leaves me in my “I love New York” rant. To each his own, but for me, I’ll take my public urination and regurgitation over staid suburbia any day!

4 comments:

k. said...

Due to my almost-midnight state (no makeup, no bra...), I took advantage of Picassa's photoediting and blurred me out. :)

Oh- and you're super funny Mike. Love you!

Tara Edwards said...

I'm glad you live in New York. It won't be a forever thing and once you move away from the city, you probably won't move back. Then you'll miss it and it will be fun to tell people that you lived there and survived what they consider to be chaos.

Jan said...

Mike - I'm serious when I say you need to have your own column. I love your takes on life..........A side bar-
I'm a bloom where you're planted type of girl (or old broad, or whatever handle you want to give me) I've learned to love all the places I've lived, at various times of my life. It's funny though, as I'm well into my 60's now, the wanderlust is somewhat tamed and the need to explore endlessly has abated. I find I prefer quiet and clean, clear, natural beauty, and I get almost sick in densly populated areas, unless it involves being near my children. There IS a time and a season for so many things, and getting started in such a diverse and exciting place as you are is awesome. I am happy for all my family, if they are happy with what they are doing, and where they are doing it.
On the flip side -Today we drove from the lake in the quiet of the late afternoon. The trees are already beginning to show their glorious fall colors. We passed two cars in the hour and forty minute drive. The lake was still and deserted. The skies were tinged with pink as the sun dropped low in the sky, and the clouds spread their shadows over the fields which are quickly turning tawny and golden. Cows and horse grazed peacefully and the rivers quietly bubbled along. The world seemed so at peace. This is my home, and I love it. I could be content never to leave. While I can hardly belive I am saying it, I believe it is true.
However - As long as I'm welcome and able I hope to continue to taverse this great land to share in my children and grandchildrens lives. Aren't we all so lucky to have the good fortune to live in so many great places?

k. said...

FYI, we just may live here forever. No plans to leave, as of yet...