Feb 24, 2008

Hautzig.

Meet the Hautzig's, Manhattan chapter {my Grandfather's parents changed their last name from Hautzig to Hudson halfway through having children- my Grandfather was born a Hautzig}. Esther, Walter, Debbie, Willy & Molly. They took me in immediately like I was one of their own, & called me family with no hesitation. Esther & Walter's personal histories are unebelievable. I'm going to read Esther's book this week.
.
I left their apartment feeling giddy, & proud. I loved it, when after making a comment that apparently had some cultural signifance, Debbie said, "Oh, you really are Jewish!!". I love & appreciate this heritage. I loved it, when after hearing that my parents converted, that we are Mormons, that Esther kept repeating that Mormons are just so good. They are so good. I loved hearing Walter's story of performing in Salt Lake City, & then meeting his friend's father - Ezra Taft Benson. I loved hearing Walter jokingly tease that he's still on probabtion - after 57 years of marriage - with his wife. They clearly love each other.
.
They are good people. Kind, smart, accomplished, artistic, cultured, good.
.
I have relatives who have been living in Manhattan for over 5o years. Imagine that.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Oh my....I hardly know what to say! I cannot wait to hear more! Thanks to Mike for taking the picture!

Joanna said...

That's SO awesome!!! We should have a family reunion in New York!! :)