Jun 21, 2008

Saturday.


We went to Levain Bakery with Caitlin & Dan tonight (intending our cookies to be dinner). Cynthia Nixon & her girlfriend + their kids walked into the bakery as we were sitting on the bench outside. I decided to not be obnoxious & waited to take a picture until they actually left. I was a bit slow though, & only got their backs. Oh well. But two thoughts- 1) Cynthia Nixon is pretty in person, & very thin & 2) Her girlfriend probably has a really, really great personality. They are definitely an odd couple.
.

Curiosity got the better of us & we decided to try the much acclaimed Five Guys Burgers & Fries after stuffing ourselves with cookies. Mike & I shared, thank goodness, but it was good, a la In 'n Out. If only they had shakes...
.
Oh- & another reason why it's better to just eat out in New York: We're having the sister missionaries over for dinner tomorrow & decided to make Cafe Rio style burritos. The grand total, 2 grocery stores later (since it's apparently not normal for a grocery store to carry buttermilk) = $62. Mike said that we should have just ordered from our favorite Mexican place tonight & re-heated it tomorrow (for half the price). Sigh.

12 comments:

Missy said...

That hamburger is massive. Were the french fries as good as that pop burger place? NY food really is so good. Are there very many farmers markets out there?

Lula. said...

I am glad to hear good reviews about Five Guys... They are opening one here and Ben is a sucker for a good burger. Oh, and $62 is crazy.

Lindsey said...

Celebrity sightings are fun. Can't believe how much your groceries are for ONE Meal. That is nuts. But the meal does sounds super good... :)

Tara Edwards said...

You should have had Mike stand in front of you, and you could have pretended to be taking a picture of him, but just focus on her :) I'm a stalker.... And the burger looks good, but how do you put your mouth around it!?

Jan said...

Wow! I love bacon and grilled onions on my burgers....fantastico!

dad said...

Wow. I could eat the five guys burger and lace it with my cholesterol medicine.

Jennifer said...

Oh, we had Five Guys at the beach last week. We liked it ok. But Kathryn, it is NOT In n Out!

k. said...

Missy- I eat vegetables, I promise. :) We have a couple of really great Farmer's Markets in the city- at Union Square, and at Columbus Circle (among others). I need to go again soon... they really are fun to go to- tons of flowers & fresh "stuff".

Jen- it's close though, right? Not exact, but as close as I've had anyway. :) They are just different I think- like how Shake Shack isn't even close to In 'n Out, but they are so different that you can't really put them in the same category (but on an absolute basis, I'd go with Shake Shack. Mike disagrees). Anwyay- I thought it was yummy (although I likely would have been sick had I eaten the whole thing by myself).

k. said...

Oh- and the french fries Missy- not even close. I would go to Pop Burger just for the fries.

Missy said...

No, I didn't mean it that way! It just got me thinking about food in NYC as a whole and how I would think NY would have some of the best farmers markets if they had many out there...like their burgers. Just wasn't sure if they had many:)

Joanna said...

Hmmm... I looked at that hamburger this morning, when I was starving, and it looked REALLY good. Then, this afternoon, after having eaten too much, I looked at it again... and it looks really gross. But I do love Five Guys... I used to eat there all the time in DC. YUM!

Sine family said...

I agree about eating out v cooking. Thats my ecuse at least. You know groceries are expensive when you spend that much to feed 4 people.