Dec 17, 2009

Okay, twist my arm.



Don't yell at me.

What fun is life is we take ourselves so seriously? For the record, I'm guilty of about 67% of the below. I have bangs, I love Anthropologie, I have TWO metal letters in my living room alone, I crafted just today, I could have a 20 minute conversation with you about cupcakes in New York (& Washington DC), & I've been blogging since 2006. Etc. etc. But I consider myself an independent, unique, well-rounded, open-minded person. I'm not a clone by any means. So, like I said, don't yell. You know, like those people who get all offended when they read Seriously So Blessed because they think the author is real & is being serious, or they're somehow otherwise offended? Yeah, those people need to lighten up. This is all in good, clean, lighthearted fun. 

Stuff Mormon Girls Like
(Compiled by me + Erin + Corinne + SJB + other various contributors. Smart & funny girls.)

Vampire Books
Anthropologie ("Anthro")
Etsy shops
Typing in all lowercase letters
Digital SLR's & starting mediocre photography businesses
The word lovely
American Idol
Husband (the word + it's massive over use)
Cupcakes
Big girl's weekends to big cities (DC, New York, LA - depending on geography)
Shade shirts with spaghetti strap dresses / tops over them
Shade clothing
Tankinis
Scrapbooking
Digiscrapbooking
Book clubbing + small food
Baking
Crafting
Mechanical bull riding for parties, birthdays, etc.
Natural birth
Divine family planning (i.e. we'll have children when HF thinks we're ready / need more)
Josh Groban
Game night / board games (Settlers of Catan, Bunko)
JCrew
Banana Republic dresses
Silhouettes
Running half marathons
Bangs
Diet Coke addictions
The Pioneer Woman
Headbands with flowers
Headbands with massive flowers on babies
Dwell
The movie Mean Girls
Throw pillows
Handmade throw pillows
Vinyl lettering with inspirational phrases
Stampin' Up
Homemade Cafe Rio
Dashboard Confessional
Designer jeans
Victorias secret underwear (pre-marriage)
Frozen yogurt
Mild cuss words
Decorating with a giant letter (last name initial, etc.)
Giant bridal / wedding pictures on a prominent wall
DIY projects
Blogging!! (This could be a separate post in & of itself)
Design blog-blogging
Highlights
Photoshop (& overuse of photoshop)
Wicked the musical
Red lipstick, whether flattering or not

28 comments:

Louise said...

I wish I was witty enough to leave a funny response to this list!! It is brilliant - I feel like you have just summed up the "Seriously So Blessed" blog with your list!! But I also think this is an "American Mormon Girl" list - I don't know that English Mormon girls share many of these (we might tease you a little bit for the humungous flower on your child's head, for example!!). That doesn't mean I don't aspire to some of these however!!

You're funny - I love reading your blog!

k. said...

Oh Louise, you're so right. My ethnocentric self failed to remember that Americans are not representative of all Mormons. :) Ha.

(I for one will never put a giant headband on a child I am responsible for. I promise you that.)

:)

Unknown said...

bummer. i have really enjoyed reading your blog but was disappointed to see one more blog classifying Mormon women. it's getting old.

k. said...

All in good fun, Amanda. It's intended to be light hearted & funny, not categorical. Poking fun, if you will. But that's okay if you misinterpret. I don't demand that everyone understand / share my sense of humor - nor would I be offended if someone decided to not read my little blog.

:)

erin said...

i hope you drew that picture in microsoft paint or something. wHaT aBoUT tYpInG lIKe ThIs?

noelle said...

kathryn. best post EVER. aNd WhAt iS wRoNg WiTh - okay, couldn't do it anymore. hilarious. can't stop laughing.

Jessie said...

"Mild cuss words" is my favorite. And don't get me started on the mediocre photography businesses.

"Polaroid cameras" and "Converse on babies" belong on this list.

Mike said...

Oh, I know something you missed! "Leaving hater comments on the blogs of people they don't know, which provides an exhilarating rush of mischief only achievable through the relative anonymity of lurking, a visceral experience that breaks the barefoot-and-pregnant masses out of their true-to-the-stereotype, picture-perfect façade of sanguine serenity , if only for a fleeting moment..."

Not a blanket statement by any means, but certainly a statistically significant quality observable in the broader population.

Abbie said...

hahahaha. Oh, Kathryn, you make me laugh!

Can we add being inspired by NieNie blog posts, having a NieNie & CJane buttons on your blog and virgin drinks?

Yes, it is very good to laugh at yourself. I might say, though, I think that a lot of these things are generation trends too.

Melissa said...

That was a great list...thanks for making me smile. :)

Julie said...

I worry I don't have "mormom" DNA because I don't like vinyl lettering and have zero desire to put it in my house.

A+ on the list (You just typed so many conversations I've had with friends)

emily said...

hee hee! That is an award worthy list. Glad you decided to post it. Never been inside anthropologie - but I bought something off of etsy just yesterday! :)

Emily Kate said...

i love this.

No really, it's awesome. Luckily I'm only slightly guilty of a very few of these crazy things. And I couldn't agree with you more about the giant headbands on darling little babies.

jocelyn said...

mike's comment is HILARIUS. i'm very guilty (even though i guess we shouldn't really feel guilty about it?) of lots of the list items as well...case in point...typing in all lowercase.

k. said...

Oh Erin, yeah - Microsoft Paint. I might be stretching it, but I'm pretty sure I've got a talent with graphic design... it's quite a sophisticated little sketch I put together.

Tara Edwards said...

I love Mike. I'm just saying. And I love your list. And hate haters. Seriously. Nobody is twisting your arm to read blogs. Don't change a thing :)

molly said...

oh i am so guilty of quite a few of those :)

Unknown said...

I'm not thinking that the natural childbirth fits though. Is that a New York thing? It may be a little forward for most.

Phew. I'm so glad I haven't wanted to try the vampire books. But I do love Settles of Catan.

(I think you need to add date nights to Borders.)

It's the same for any community, right? I'm sure the Boston Irish could have their own list of cliches.

Lindsey said...

i'm not sure i think it all lies just with mormon girls (though a lot of it does!!). but can i just say that huge flower headbands on little, adorable babies is cruel. it's child abuse. i think it should be against some law....

Heidi said...

natural childbirth- ack! That is definitely not something I would associated with mormon girls- is it more common in NYC?

2 by Design said...

LOVE this! And apparently I'm a "Mormon girl" by association. I'm guilty of many of these things and wish on a daily basis that I could rock bangs. Sigh.

Missy said...

the huge flower on the babies is yuck. takes away from the adorable newborn/baby face.

I haven't seen natural birth anywhere either. maybe bigger in nyc, but whatever the list is pretty funny.

Groshon said...

I love your list! I think I would add extended breast-feeding, holding your kid back from kindergarten until age 6 and home-schooling or wait, is it UN-schooling... those convo's always make me laugh!

I really do need to get me a pair of skinny jeans with boots but I don't know if a 30 something should be trying to pull that look off!

Heather said...

Thank you for writing this! I love it! The girls who write those crazy posts about the people who like the listed above need to move on from dwelling on other people! It gets old!

Life is fun! Do what you like and if other people like it too, great! There's a reason why the list above is popular...it's good stuff!!!

xoxo

Marisa said...

i'm not morman, but this made me laugh. maybe i should be. :D

Morgan said...

Thank you for sharing. This is great! I know that I, too, am guilty of at least 67% of these things. I agree with a lot of the other comments. It does seem to be a generational and geographic thing, as I don't think that my mom has ever even heard of half of these things. And I've got a feeling that mormons on the other side of the world would be laughing at all of us if they ever read this list.

Jennifer said...

I'm a horrible Mormon and I'm still guilty of most of this list. Except the Shade tank thing. I don't have to worry about that.

I had no idea about the bangs.

Emily said...

So funny! I'm glad you decided to post. What about: obsession with SYTYCD and Dancing with the Stars and discussing every detail of the sure-to-be-Morman ballroom dancer from Utah?

Happy New Year!