Dec 17, 2009

Christmas in the City: Origami Tree.

(Someone please teach me about custom white balance. I just couldn't get it right, & my post-processing skills are sort of nonexistent. Try to ignore the fact that these are maybe the worst photos I've taken in my entire life. I promise it was beautiful. The lighting was just... tricky.)

Anyway.

I went with Jill & her sister Tracie to the Museum of Natural History on Monday to see the Origami Tree.

The Origami Holiday Tree has marked the start of the holiday season at the Museum for more than 30 years. The theme of this year's tree is Origami, A to Z, featuring a colorful paper-shaped alphabet soup. The 13-foot tree will be covered with letters and a corresponding object: an A and an Apatosaurus, a B and a butterfly, a C and a chimpanzee, an F and a frog, an M and a mastodon, an S and a sabertooth tiger, and a T and a Tyrannosaurus rex. Volunteers began folding in July to complete the 500 creations displayed on the tree.

Cool, right? I'd never been before & was glad to make it this year. So pretty, & the details were amazing. Makes me want to learn how to fold paper. Or at least go back & see what they come up with next year.

Afterwards? Shake Shack's latest genius addition: Hot apple cider (amazing) & donut holes from the Donut Plant. A perfect treat on a chilly day.








7 comments:

Lindsey said...

cute baby!!

I love origami. I bought a book "for izzy", but I obviously do most of the folding. it's so addictive!

erin said...

the entire tree is covered in origami ornaments? i think i need to go to get a closer look... that's very cool.

the lighting of that place looks like my cave-like apartment. when you learn white balance tricks, do share.

Missy said...

wait, this is so cool. do you have to use special paper for it? or do you just fold, fold, fold? very cool.

white balance in photoshop is much easier. maybe. or maybe that is just my cheap way out of it??

Louise said...

I love the tree - and your friend Jill and her baby are so pretty!

Meg said...

I'm a friend of Jamie's and I'm de-lurking after reading for almost *2 years* and oggling your photography... just to tell you that I love the colors/lighting in these photos. Don't change a thing! They have an ethereal, 70s photo look to them.

Jan said...

I want an origami tree! Maybe a small one...but I'm crazy about the whole look....so different...and interesting!

Jill said...

this was very fun, even just for 30 minutes. that origami was amazing.

p.s. i just looked at that picture and thought 'that's my kid. weird!'