Apr 7, 2010

My Monday morning stroll through Central Park.

I woke up Monday morning feeling the need to move.

I've remained pretty active as of late. My daily life requires a lot of walking. I suppose I walked a lot in Amsterdam. And miles in DC. But a regular, formal exercise routine - it flew totally out the window after I tried going to the gym at about 8 weeks pregnant. That didn't work out well that time, & my gym membership is currently frozen. I've felt a bit incapacitated since about the of January - so tired that I could sleep (& have slept) for hours & hours, & sick enough that I didn't want to leave my apartment unless absolutely necessary. My body was going through havoc. It just wasn't going to happen. But now - I've gone a week (& a half!) without throwing up. I'm finally feeling almost all the way better, like the cobwebs are being shaken & I'm waking up again. It's a good feeling. And since the blossoms in the park were probably feeling the same way this week, I decided that it was probably a good idea to spend some time together.

So I put on a sports bra (that barely fits the girls these days!!) + running shoes for the first time in months, grabbed my iPod & strapped on my camera (likely as heavy - if not more so - than a newborn will be) & headed outside for a 90 minute exploration of the UES & Central Park - a clever disguise for a little bit of exercise. While I didn't run, it still felt so great. I walked (swiftly!) over to 5th Avenue, up towards The Met, around The Reservoir, down the west side & across the park & back home again.

To say it was a beautiful day would be massive understatement. Warm! Sunny! Fresh air! So beautiful. The park isn't quite in full bloom yet, but it's making it's way there. I intend to make at least twice-weekly trips to make sure that I don't miss the explosion of blossoms that happens every spring around The Reservoir. It's always amazing to see.

I love this city.

And someday, I want to buy a park bench with our names on it (I have no idea how much that would actually cost).

*Post edit: I'm not telling the blog that I'm feeling better ever again. Because it jinxes me! Every time! And then I feel sick again. Boo. 















6 comments:

Jan said...

Is there anything that can't be found on Google? $7500 is the cost to "adopt a bench" in central park. Your pictures are so good I can almost smell the blossoms - Aren't they simply amazing? Thanks for the visual present this morning!

Erin said...

I'm so glad your feeling better! What beautiful pics. I especially love the one looking south across the reservoir. You are making me feel a NEED to visit the city. I will have to think about that! :)

Missy said...

Ooh that one of the entire city line is beautiful. All of them! Gorgeous. Can't wait for your lots of visits (and photos) of going back.

(As a sidenote, I always think being pregnant before "showing" is extra fun b/c you walk around and nobody knows. Your secret. I imagine that would be felt 10x more in NYC where there are SO many people).

Angie said...

Gorgeous pictures. I think spring is the very best time in the city (but I say that with almost every time of year). You pictures make me want a 24-70 (and a full frame camera, but lets not get crazy). Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the gorgeous weather yesterday morning! It was perfect.

Jennifer said...

I love that side (part) of the park. I hope the second trimester is good to you--it'll make spring so much more enjoyable.

I love the photos.

Mike said...

your life > my life, as evidenced by these photos. Please accompany me next week and document my comings and goings.