Jul 28, 2010

My last 24 hours, with a tiny bit of commentary.

I've been doing mini-posting on Facebook more often lately. And kind of double posting photos & comments between the blog & said Facebook. It makes me feel like I'm duplicating a little bit too much, or maybe just over-publicizing my life or something. This makes me feel lame. And then I start to think that maybe I'm into this whole social media thing just a little too much & that I need to disconnect myself a bit more - because I blog often, & stay in touch with a number of people via Facebook, & sometimes I just want TO. TALK. to my friends, you know? Because that's genuine, & that's real. And really! My life isn't that exciting. Why do I even update my status on Facebook? To what end? I love my life, but does everyone else need to know every little thing about it?? But then, 5 minutes later I'll have a conversation with a friend about how much they love their Twitter account & I think Ooh, Twitter! That could be fun! But then I worry that doing that - for me personally - would really just threaten to push me over the looming cliff of total narcissism, & pretty soon I'll have a design / inspiration blog, a photography blog, a recipe blog (oops) & I'll start posting photos of my outfits + places of purchase (always Anthro, Etsy, handmade, or vintage of course) every single day because I'd just be THAT FABULOUS

And I'm pretty sure that's not where I want to be. 

Anyway. That's quite the tangent, except to say that I like to keep record of snippets of our life, & I always try my very best to be genuine. And for now, it's done via our blog (+ Baby Boy's top secret blog), & lately, with the addition of my little camera on my phone to catch little things along the way. 


Like yesterday. A Target in Harlem! It just opened, & I just went, & it's really beautiful. Like a real, huge, fully-stocked Target with nice people working there. I had three things on my list & of course came home with 25. And then! I went to Costco (downstairs 2 levels) right afterwards. I love Costco, & its recent arrival in Manhattan is equally revolutionary. Oh, & in case you're wondering, this is how we have to do such shopping in New York City: 
  1. Take bus, cab or subway to 117th Street - Spanish Harlem. It's a long walk from the subway (all the way to the river) or a short walk from the bus. Pick your poison.  
  2. Shop. Keep in mind that at some point, you have to carry everything that you buy (in my case, I brought a big Ikea bag with me to put all of my Target bags in, & then pushed my Target bags around Costco with a cart while I shopped, then pushed my Costco cart full of Target and Costco goods out to the cab line). 
  3. Take a cab home. 
  4. Have driver of said cab bring things to your door (if he's nice). 
  5. Have doorman help you to the elevator (if he's paying attention). If it's a lucky day, you'll get a porter to help you all the way up.
  6. Push bags down the hall since they're too heavy to carry on your own. Collapse of exhaustion. 
But it's so worth it! It really is. We can officially live here forever now. The assortment of things that I can get at Target (& Costco), inexpensively, & all in one place (!!) is just unheard of in Manhattan. Love it. 

And watermelon? They're pretty, & they make me think of summer, & picnics, & good food & all things pretty. I love fruit stands & stacked fruit. Beautiful.


And color! I love color, & my Tuesday was full of it - although my nutrition was admittedly lacking a bit. I can unabashedly admit to having a pistachio macaroon from Bouchon for lunch (a post-doctor's appointment reward - I'm so glad that both my doctor & my hospital are so close to Columbus Circle), & then Pinkberry with friend Amy shortly after, although they were out of watermelon this time, so I had mango, instead. Pinkberry + a macaroon for lunch. Perfect for a hot day. 


Speaking of proper nutrition, What to Expect sent me (& Mike) an email this week emphasizing the importance of calcium. Mike, who is a good husband & takes these things quite seriously, has since requested that I drink a nice glass of chocolate milk each day. Twist my arm. I've loved chocolate milk just about every single minute of this pregnancy & now I have even more of an excuse. I picked up this bottle at Agata & Valentina (loveliest grocery store on the UES, I think) & almost went immediately to Heaven (before I looked at the nutritional information). Despite the fact that Mike & I are both green, I'm quite sure Baby Boy is going to come out with brown eyes.

And speaking of food - I made Spicy Bulgur Burgers for dinner on Monday. We remembered how much we love them, so we made them again last night, because we're adults, & we can decide that we want to eat the same thing for dinner two nights in a row. Both nights, I made a salad with bulgur, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, red wine vinegar + olive oil, & salt + pepper. And feta! So delicious. Mike asked if we could have it again tonight. I said, No! Maybe just to spite him, since 5 minutes earlier I'd asked if I could spend a truly obscene amount of money on custom letterpress baby announcements & he said that probably wasn't a good idea. I was kidding!! Mostly.

Speaking of Columbus Circle, I'm always intrigued with the Botero statues (titled Adam & Eve, respectively) & their exaggerated + anatomically correct bodies. Adam's special place is kind of warn off from what I'd imagine to be frequent touching. 

Ada + Corinne came there with me today, after we spent a good amount of time in Central Park playing in the water. It felt good. 





Afterwards, we went to Shake Shack for some lunch (I haven't been in weeks). That onesie? There's a part of me that kind of wants it for Baby Boy, but I feel like I need to study it out in my mind for a while before I make a decision. It violates all sorts of rules in my head, but at the same time - I like it. And that Shack Burger? I think it's the prettiest photo ever of a Shack Burger, & it's WITH MY iPHONE! While my giant camera + heavy lens sat in my purse, of course (but was well-used at the park)! 

In other, totally unrelated news - We discovered last night that we can see tourists taking photos from the Top of the Rock. Their flash bulbs look like fireflies. And! Last night, we hung two photos! Two! That's progress, & it felt wonderful. We're using Apartment Therapy's tutorial to help us properly on our way (I like this one, too), & I'm happy with the results. We only have approximately 13 more to go, which makes Mike very sad. Hanging anything on the wall is just tedious.

I'd love some new pillows for our living room couches. 

And a new bed (we don't need one). And new bedding (it's been several years, so I might call this a "need", although I can feel Mike giving me the look this very second). And this really amazing rug that I found. Sadly, it is approximately the cost of our rent each month. 

(This is why I keep a running "wish list" note in my phone.)

It's Wednesday! Halfway through week 32 of pregnancy. No wonder I'm nesting, nesting, nesting...  

2 comments:

Missy said...

Well, I don't check into FB daily. Maybe once a week, if that, so I don't see the double postings.

I totally need to try those burgers. They sound so good.

And I may have laughed out loud at your Adam comment. Oh Kathryn..

Jill said...

This was quite the post! You have been busy. And now...I officially want a shack burger + that onsie for jude. he probably needs it right? to remember that he basically lived off that place while in utero.

ps. you need to get those pictures up on the wall. its stressing me out.