Nov 30, 2012

Barefooted Angels.

Both boys are in their rooms sleeping (in theory) right now. This is something that I'm sure - when successful - will be considered a small miracle for the next several months. 

I looked at the monitor a few minutes ago & Q was standing up in his crib, with all of the contents (blanket, Puppy & Donkey) thrown out onto the floor - a sure sign of protest on his part. So I went up, & we chatted for a few minutes. The conversation went a little something like this:

I'm sad! I'm sad!
Park! (We just went this morning - for two hours!)
Grandpa! (I just got off of the phone with him.)
Ella! (We'll play next week when you don't have yucky germs.)
Water! (You already had some.)
Milk! (You just had lunch.)
Dad! (He's on an airplane. Maybe you'll see him tonight before you go to sleep.)

Anything to not nap. In the end, he said he wanted songs, so I sat in his chair & we went to our new standard - a lullaby my mom sang to us when we were little (about angels & their shoesies). 

At the gates of Heavn' 
Little shoes they are selling
For the little barefooted Angels, there dwelling

Slumber my baby
Slumber my baby
Slumber my baby, a roo a roo

God will bless the childlren 
So peacefully sleeping
God will bless their mothers, whose watch they are keeping

He really loves this song (I think it's so sweet), & I love that it's passed down. It gives me strength in those moments where it's necessary for me to sing it on repeat. He relaxed, went back into his crib, & is finally sleeping. West is fussing now, naturally - but I've learned to let him do his thing for a few minutes, & then he'll go back to sleep. 

(He's asleep again.)

Quinn's new thing is saying that he's stuck all the time. When he's up in the chair & finished with his lunch he'll say, I'm stuck!! Sitting on the couch, which he's fully capable of climbing off of - I'm stuck!! In his carseat or stroller - I'm stuck! I laugh every time he strings together words (still a fairly new trick for him). 

I decided this morning that West's greatest qualities growing up will be patience & longsuffering. Such is the life of a little brother I suppose, but when Quinn plopped down directly on West's head this morning & his only reaction was a big pouty lip for a minute, I just had to hand it to him. He's a sweet baby, & relatively tolerant as well. 

Photo dump - from a few weeks ago? I don't even know, but West looks like a new baby every time I take a photo. 
 

3 comments:

erin said...

okay, quinn shouting "i'm stuck!" reminds me of when indiana used to say "i spilled!" after she puked all over herself. two year olds are the best. sorta.

Judy said...

Oh, I had to laugh...and laugh when you said this, "Such is the life of a little brother I suppose, but when Quinn plopped down directly on West's head this morning & his only reaction was a big pouty lip for a minute,".... my daughter's two boys - Benjamin and William...well, Benjamin (3 1/2 years old) will drag William (just turned 9 months) by his ankle...or be way too rough...and William still will look at Benjamin with the absolute sweetest smile. Brothers...what a special bond! (They're coming to my house Sunday for the WEEK!!!)

Meg said...

Don't worry, second children always turn out the most flexible and compromising! (She speaks from experience.)

Also, you make some really beautiful babies, you know that?