Nov 1, 2009

27.

I don't think I've had a birthday party since 7th grade, & that one resulted in my first Pearl Jam CD & a lot of girls crying for no particular reason (although I'm guessing a boy may have been involved).

I still can't believe that Mike did this. I mean, I can, because he's amazing, but I just can't, because it was so well thought out (a gradual surprise party) & just so fun. A few friends forwarded me the chain of emails that he sent out while planning the event. My husband is funny, & I just love that about him. Case in point:

... a "gradual" surprise party by which we overrun Shake Shack. One of you [good friend Emma]  insist that Kathryn meet you for an early lunch on Friday 10/30 at 10:45 AM (when they open, likely to be empty) - say you need to talk about something extremely urgent... someone left a nasty comment on your blog, the frosting at Butter Lane just isn't the same as it used to be, Mormon culture's expectations of women are overwhelming, you know, the usual. :)

The two of you (Kathryn and yet unnamed girlfriend) would go downstairs to the basement room. The rest of you would show up in spaced intervals, "coincidentally" running in to Kathryn. Insist that you had no idea she would be there, that it's pure coincidence, but by the way, 'happy birthday.' If we can get enough people "coincidentally" showing up, it could be very fun. I would show up at the end with balloons or something (I'm open to suggestions here). We could all then shower her with our love.

It was the happiest birthday. My very closest friends (almost all of them!) all in one room, all at the same time - & everyone eating Shack Burgers! Even though being the center of attention makes me kind of squeamish, I felt lots of love, especially since so many people went out of their way to make it. It was also reconfirmed to me that I love where we live, I love our ward, & I love our city - & everything it's blessed me with (especially friends). Happy, happy.

Special thanks to all of my scheming friends who maybe told a few white lies to get me there. I sort of feel a tiny bit betrayed that no one spilled the beans, but also kind of warm & fuzzy because I think it means you might just really love me.

xo










The day ☆ The food ☆ Cookies from Levain ☆ The friends ☆ The year ☆ Some of the girls I really like ☆ Baby Ada not loving my birthday hat ☆ Love birds

6 comments:

laurel said...

Love this! Happy Birthday!

(I've been secretly planning my own bday party at the Shake Shack for my 30th, which is still a year and a half away. But I've always thought it would be perfect!!)

Lindsey said...

Love the behind the scenes work. What a great party, and day (your dinner looks amazing too). I kinda want to come to NY for my next birthday now....

erin said...

yes, confirmed. we really love you. i have a gift for you, too, but it's late, but that's me, right?

Missy said...

I'm so hungry right now and this post did not help. Those burgers look delicious.

So glad you had a happy day! Loved the "behind the scenes" too. You guys are cute together.

Lula. said...

Happy happy 27! What a sweet thing Mike did for you. I hope its a great year!!

Morgan said...

Happy 27th, Kathryn!!! What a wonderfully sweet husband, friends, and surprise. Perfect birthday. I do believe that you are very deserving.