Jul 27, 2010

Dressing with a belly.




Dressing with a belly is sometimes (often) a little bit complicated. You have that first trimester awkwardness where things just start to not fit quite right, but regular clothes still work. Next comes the dreaded second trimester chub, with the intro to the half-panel bottoms (or maybe even the magical no-panel; I like Gap's panel-less pants). And the third trimester? Goodbye half-panel (ouch!), hello pants up to my boobs. It's almost an entirely different animal, really. Many of the things that I was sure would fit at the beginning of my pregnancy definitely no longer work. I put on this dress last Sunday & was shocked to find that it was at least 4 inches too short (!!). I guess 12 weeks makes a bit of a difference.

I mentioned complicated, right? 

My maternity wardrobe has evolved into quite the mix. I've relied on nice friends who have let me borrow things. I've picked up inexpensive items that I don't necessarily want to keep forever, or non-maternity extra-lose pieces to get me through those awkward months (I like tunics & "regular" tops from H&M & F21 - lots of current + flowy options that I don't necessarily have to fully commit to). I've stocked up on solid & reliable maternity basics that I'll use again for next time (like Gap t's, tanks, shorts & capris), & more transition pieces that either help me through those awkward stages, or keep me feeling somewhat cute (size-up favorites from JCrew, Anthropologie, etc that work great without looking tent-y). I've splurged on a few things that I have loved & wanted to invest in for a special occasion or a future pregnancy (Pea in a Pod, Nordstrom, Belly Dance Maternity, POP, etc). Besides those first 20 weeks or so, I've actually had fun dressing up the bump.

Admittedly, I haven't exactly glammed it up for the last 8 months. I've practically lived in leggings & tshirts. I wear leggings as often as I can, especially over the past several weeks when the pressure of low-panel shorts is hitting in just the wrong spot & hurts. The over-the-belly leggings from Pea in a Pod are my favorite, but I've found that under-belly (maternity + non-maternity) works almost just as well.

Discovering new options is always fun though, right? Case in point: I just received these F21 leggings in the mail after discovering their new (admittedly small) maternity line. Love them + the ruching on the bottom. And the price?! $9.80. I'm betting I'll wear these post-pregnancy, too (& probably pick up another pair or two).

4 comments:

Corinne said...

I had no idea that Forver 21 started a maternity line. Note to self.

Kera said...

You know, forever 21 gets a bad rap sometimes, and the fit isn't all that grand, but for the price? You can come out looking like you spent much more than $5 for a shirt.

That is awesome they have maternity stuff. I figure I might as well get pregnant one more time before I die

:)

Groshon said...

I am going to have to check out forever 21. I have avoided them in the past... it doesn't seem like a place a 35 yr old should shop. BUT, with this pregnancy I am all about comfort (and cheap since this is our last) With my other pg's I have been working in an office and my attire was way different, but now, leggings seem completely acceptable!
p.s. our boy is due just a few weeks after yours so it has been fun to watch your blog!

k. said...

Trista, you're having a baby boy, too!? That's great! Congrats, congrats to you! And yes. Fully supportive of the leggings, especially in the fall (with cute boots + long sweaters!). Perfect for a fall pregnancy. Good luck!