Jan 23, 2009

Let's play tourist for a minute.

Image via Art Shark Designs
.
If you were to ask me for a list of things to do during your New York City visit, I'd say:
  • Go watch the Frisbee guys at the park. They're fun.
  • While you're at it, just people watch at Central Park, or search for your own very favorite park bench. My favorite Central Park spots are The Great Lawn for Sunday picnics with friends, The Conservatory Gardens, The Reservoir, Bethesda Fountain & surrounding areas, The Bandshell + Poet's Walk area, & the zoo
  • Go out for a great dinner at Upstairs by Bouley - the cheaper but chic sister restaurant to David Bouley's much fancier Bouley. No jackets required at this little gem, but it's small - so be prepared to wait. I love the sushi bar, if it's too crowded for a table. I hear the brunch is great, although I've never been.
  • Appreciate really cool subway music.
  • Frequent Shake Shack - either at Madison Square Park, the Upper West Side or now the Upper East Side. Madison Square Park is closest to our hearts as it's the original, & it's best in the summer, but be prepared for a massive line unless you go at an off time - like 10:30pm.
  • Have a really great steak at Peter Luger in Brooklyn.
  • Go see a Yankees game.
  • Don't be oversensitive about cranky people.
  • Plan in advance, sign up for the lottery, or bribe someone for Saturday Night Live tickets (or to something else like Martha, The Daily Show or some equivalent).
  • Go to the 9/11 Tribute Museum at Ground Zero & remember. Bring kleenex.
  • Visit Trinity Church & St. Paul's Church, both adjacent to Ground Zero.
  • Catch one of the Philharmonic at the park performances during the summer.
  • Pick up some cupcakes at Two Little Red Hens on the Upper East Side, Buttercup Bakeshop in Midtown or the UWS, Magnolia Bakery (only their banana pudding though - cupcakes are totally overrated) in one of several locations, or Sugar Sweet Sunshine in the Lower East Side. Our favorites, hands down - Butter Lane in the East Village or in the cart at Highline Park in Chelsea.
  • Grab some new fancy equipment to document your trip at B&H Photo. It's an amazing cultural experience just to visit the store. Make sure you're aware of Jewish holidays & the Sabbath (Saturday) - they're observant, & won't be open.
  • Inhale cream puffs from Choux Factory on the Upper East Side. Vanilla is my favorite.
  • Eat, eat, eat some more. Especially at the upstairs taco stand at La Esquina (their grilled corn makes me truly happy, although some might argue that Cafe Habana is better - I don't think it is, although their Cuban / Latin food is delicious). Go to Little Italy next for some gelato (or travel to the village for some of the sweet stuff at Cones), or to Eileen's Special Cheesecake (just across the street from La Esquina) for one of their miniature wonders. Wander through Soho to walk it off.
  • Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge & eat pizza on the other side at Grimaldi's Pizzeria if you're up for the (long) wait. If it's warm, stop for some ice cream on your way back, under the bridge at Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory.
  • Other options for great NYC Pizza? Lombardi's in Soho, Patsy's in several locations, Adrienne's Pizza Bar in the Financial District & Keste on Bleecker (for more fancy pizza).
  • Partake of the wonder that is Halal food at the street cart on 53rd & 6th Ave (only open at night, from 7pm to 3am, I think). It's mostly okay to eat food off of the street in New York City. The line will reassure the nagging doubt you'll likely have in your stomach if it's your first time. Go easy on the red sauce (hot!!), heavy on the white sauce.
  • Explore Chelsea Market & pick up something tasty at Amy's Bread (like the chocolate cake or the yellow cake with pink icing - yum!).
  • Wander through Highline Park
  • Nap or picnic on the Great Lawn. While you're there, go see Strawberry Fields, take a walk (or run) around the reservoir, eat at The Boathouse (brunch) & go for a row.
  • Go to Rockefeller Center & take the elevator to the Top of the Rock - I think it has a more spectacular view than the Empire State Building (& you can take better, unobstructed photos). Make sure to go across 5th Avenue & inside St. Patrick's Cathedral while you're there. Oh - & the Anthropologie at Rockefeller Center is the biggest. Anywhere.
  • Grab a hot chocolate & pretzel croissant at City Bakery just west of Union Square. It's my favorite winter treat.
  • Walk through the Farmer's Market at Union Square (Mon / Wed /Fri / Sat).
  • See Steve Cohen's magic show Chamber Magic & be amazed. Buy tickets well in advance.
  • Visit The Cathedral of St. John the Divine in Morningside Heights (Kitchenette is just up the street). Catch a free concert on a Sunday afternoon if you can.
  • Make a stop on your way down for the best cookie of your life at the Upper West Side's Levain Bakery. The cinnamon brioche is also wonderful.
  • See a Broadway show. I have a soft spot in my heart for In the Heights & Wicked.
  • Eat some barbecue at Danny Meyer's Blue Smoke restaurant. GET THE SWEET POTATO FRIES. 
  • Go on a walking food tour in your favorite neighborhood.
  • Visit The Cloisters.
  • Go to The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
  • Our favorite brunch is at Norma's. I love just about every on the menu. Especially the Norma's Eggs Benedict (made with lemon ricotta pancakes). If you want to go on a weekend, make sure to make reservations ahead of time, & definitely splurge on the hot chocolate with (lots of!) whipped cream.
  • More brunch ideas? Sarabeth'sJaneFriend of a FarmerLe Pain QuotidienAlice's Tea Cup for scones. Order the Blueberry Pancakes at Clinton Street Bakery. It's worth the trek (& the wait). Two Little Red Hen's (on the UES) has great cinnamon rolls before 8:30am daily, & Levain makes them on weekends. Both sell out quickly. Go to Tribeca for brunch at Kitchenette (also on the UWS) or Bubby's. Play in the black & white photo booth downstairs. The Brooklyn location is breathtaking. Walk back across the bridge to Manhattan. 
  • If you appreciate music - Steinway Hall is right across the street from Norma's on 57th, & Carnegie Hall is just a block east.
  • Go to Bouchon Bakery in the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle & order a few macaroons - unless you're European, & then you might be a tiny bit disappointed.
  • Look at the Statue of Liberty from Battery Park. It's a beautiful view, & walking along the promenade past the World Financial Center is lovely. Eat the best sushi of your life at Nobu. The rock shrimp is amazing, as is everything else on the menu. Be aware - It's fancy (expensive), but oh so worth it.
  • Take a boat to Ellis Island. Or the Statue of Liberty. Prepare to wait in a long line, & actually - it kills most of a day if you do both. Pick one or the other, unless you have a lot of time on your hands.
  • In the chilly months - go ice skating at Bryant Park. Skip Rockefeller or Central Park. Too crowded & too expensive.
  • Shop, shop, shop. Boutiques? Soho. Basics & staples? Soho - Broadway, in the Spring Street area (you can find mid-range chain stores, i.e. Banana Republic, Uniqlo, Anthropologie, TopShop, Madewell, Urban Outfitters & JCrew), or 5th Avenue between 49th & 60th Streets. Skip Macy's, Times Square & anywhere else with huge, flashing lights. I hate those areas of the city (noisy, crowded, tourists everywhere). Visit Bloomingdales at 59th & Lexington or their smaller store in Soho for a more mellow shopping experience that is still slightly upscale (& grab some yogurt at Forty Carrots while you're at it). Henri Bendel is fun to browse through. Bergdorf's makes me feel badly about myself. Century 21 is a bargain shopper's heaven (think TJ Maxx or Filene's Basement on steroids), although don't go past 5pm unless getting trampled is your idea of a good time, & be prepared to truly dig Amazing deals are to be had, but I've decided they're not worth the pain & suffering. 
  • Have a romantic dinner Union Square Cafe - one of my favorite places in the city for fancy food.  My favorite meal & top restaurant choice is Gramercy Tavern - another phenomenal special occasion place, but if you're sitting in the back (vs. the front "tavern") & ordering from the pre-fixe menu, it isn't for the budget-conscious.
  • Take a trapeze class at Chelsea Piers (still on my to-do list, unfortunately).
  • Snag donuts early at Doughnut Plant in the Lower East Side.
  • Travel to a foreign country - without leaving New York City.
  • Tap your inner hipster & travel to Bedford Street in Williamsburg (Brooklyn) for some great restaurants & boutique + vintage shopping.
  • While you're there, enjoy authentic Peruvian food at Chimu.
  • Go on a walking tour.
  • Visit The Cloisters
  • Arepas in the East Village. Such a great little spot, & Butterlane Bakery is close enough for dessert.
  • Explore the Brooklyn Flea Market.
  • Spend a day in Brooklyn. Love Park Slope.
  • Visit the beautiful (& manageably small) Frick Collection. Stop by the always chic Lady M cake boutique afterwards.
  • Eat, eat, eat. Did I already mention that?
  • Shh!! Visit the New York Public Library adjacent to Bryant Park (42nd & 5th). The interiors are so beautiful.
  • Coney Island is actually quite the experience - although know what you're getting into. Easter through Labor Day.
  • Visit China Town for foot rubs & soup dumplings.
  • The toasted marshmallow shake at Stand (just south of Union Square) is amazing.
  • Go to the Museum of Modern Art. It's my favorite museum in the city.
  • Want a killer view of the southern portion of Manhattan? Try this outing - Hop on the A train from Fulton Street over to DUMBO, grab some brunch at Bubby's & take in the views of the Brooklyn & Manhattan Bridges. 
  • Dinner at The Little Owl in the West Village. Make a reservation a few weeks in advance, at least - or call for a 5:30pm table. It's an amazing restaurant in a truly charming neighborhood. 
  • Grab tickets to the US Open if you're visiting in September. 
Simple things to remember about New York:
.
It's not an inexpensive place to visit. I'm sorry that I can't find you a hotel for $79 a night. :)
.
People are busy, not mean. We don't have cars, & we walk mostly everywhere we go, so if people don't smile, stop & chat with you on the subway, it's because it's often their commuting time & they want to be left alone. You get to be in a car. We don't, so we take advantage of our alone time & create our own little bubbles. People are generally approachable & will help you if you ask
.
Please don't stop in the middle of the sidewalk to look up & stare or take photos. Step to the side & let people walk (also - walking in packs of more than 4, strewn all the way across the sidewalk, at 2 mph is annoying). :) 
.
Please avoid making comments like, How do you live here?! I couldn't stand it!! or Your apartment is so tiny! That's not nice, it won't warm people up to you & we live here by choice.
.
Avoid Times Square & Herald Square at all costs if you're looking for something genuinely New York. They are so not representative of what the city is really like.
.
New York City is safe. The subway is not scary. People who may not look like you aren't scary. You will not get mugged in midtown. There have been one or maybe, maybe two situations in my 5+ years in the city where I've felt that I was uncomfortable & in a not-so-safe neighborhood - & this was never below 125th Street in Manhattan. 

People are often asking me for suggestions for a genuine experience of New York City. I think that you can have an amazing time visiting our city, but please understand that making a commitment to live here is much different than visiting for a weekend - so my experience will be different than yours. I love New York primarily because of the people that I know, the experiences I've had, & the opportunities that develop every day as I wander through the city. I love that I've made the city mine by living here, getting to know my drycleaner, making countless memories, being a part of a church community & putting down solid roots both professionally & personally. I'm always discovering new things, people & places. While every day is certainly not glamorous, New York City is vibrant, & it's alive - & the only consistency is that it's constantly changing & moving.
.
*We'll consider this an evolving post. Friends, kindly leave your own additions.

23 comments:

Heidi said...

Now I miss NYC and really want to visit! Have you ever been to Max Brenner's restaurant? Or to the Frick Collection? I have never done either but have heard good things.

Katherine said...

I need to come back! I want to do all the things on your list. I am pretty sure I would gain 10 lbs.

k. said...

I have been to Max Brenner, Heidi. It's okay, but I don't love it. The Frick is supposed to be really great. It's on my list of things to do (still). :)

laurel said...

This is an awesome list. I might have to refer visitors to it!

And because you can never have too much yummy food, grab a slice of Grandma's style pizza at Bleecker Street Pizza. Then get dessert at Milk and Cookies Bakery and eat it while wandering the cutest ever streets.

(We might be moving, and your list mostly makes me so so sad!!)

The Jackson Three said...

love the list...it seems like I am still a tourist after being here 5 years since I need to do most of the stuff on your list!

Louise said...

Okay, perfect timing for this list! I was going to email you and ask you for something like this - my sweet husband has said I can come to NYC as my birthday present!! Thanks for posting!

emily said...

Can we come visit?! WOW...so much to do!

Jill said...

love the list. nice job K. i need to compile one too.

Lizzie said...

What a list! Love it. There are many things I've done & many I haven't. Smart to put it together for visitors - people are always asking us what our favorite NYC things are.

di said...

oh this is lovely. thank you k! i would add on mamoun's - it is the ONLY place to get 'real' suarma (if you want pizza at lombardi's then you know what i mean).

Don't forget CHINATOWN! (no, no, not for knockoffs) food food food, and ice cream. (although my palate favors Flushing because my family's heritage is more akin to the community there and therefore the flavor of the food as well - my mother's cooking).

keep the list evolving - there's always so much goodness to be had in our favorite little city. :)

Meggan said...

Thanks for this list! My husband is bringing my daughter to New York this weekend for her 9th birthday! I'll give it to him and they can enjoy the sights.

Oh, I'm Missy's sister by the way. I decided to check you out a bit ago when you always commented on her and Jen's blog. Hope you don't mind.

Lindsey said...

I really want to come to NY now! What a great list. I should make something like this for London...

erin said...

i'll be referencing this list often.

Lula. said...

Dang girl! That's a lot of work. I am going to have to remember this for sometime when we FINALLY get out to NYC.

caitlin and brinton said...

Thanks Kathryn! I think I'll print this list and check off as many as possible in the short time Brinton & I will have there in May. I'm so excited now!!! :)

Jill said...

Thanks for the list! I'm sure I will be referring back to it several times :)

Amy said...

LOVE the list Kathryn! Did you really take a trapeze class?! If so, that is awesome and I HAVE to hear about it.

eyre blog said...

what a great list! I'm printing it out for myself. Thanks

Jennifer said...

Kathryn...you are the best. And so is this list. Ryan and I did the Frick a few years ago and it was AWESOME. Something very cool about knowing someone used to live there!

Now we just need Lindsey to do a London version and we can hit up both cities.

Aaron R. said...

Great list Kathryn! Luckily Amee and I did a little over half of it in our (way too) short ~18 months in NYC.

We also loved the Circleline boat that circles the entire island. It's like 3 hours long, but well worth it...

Angie said...

thank you for this awesome list! i am moving to NY in 13 days, and i've got an ever-growing list of things to do when we get there. you've just helped my list grow even more! (we're going on twelve pages) thanks!

Shannon Thornton said...

Why have I never seen this until now? This is so perfect. I will forward everyone to this link when I get asked for things to do in NYC. Miss the city right now, a lot.

Kim said...

MOST AMAZING POST EVER. I am planning a very short 2 day trip.. and this.. rules. I did have a few really dumb NYC question, so dumb that I'm afraid to post here... can I email you? If not, it's cool! Just wanted to ask.. :)